The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Winter tying projects

Last year I took on classic atlantic salmon flies,which morphed backwards to classic winged wets before progressing forward again to the salmon flies and somewhere in between I found my self tying Rangeley Style Streamers

This winter my target project is classic dry flies, all the while continuing with the salmon flies, wets and streamers.

Quill Gordon will be the first fly....watch this space.

Anyone else have any projects planned??

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Winter tying projects

Last winter I was tying pike streamers, shrimps and smaller perch streamers and so I decided to work on some nymphs and dry flies to refill my fly boxes this winter.

THORSTEN
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I look forward to seeing your dries, I'm sure they will be beautiful. I have been tying a lot of dries lately and taking a lot of fish on them. This winter I have plans to get a spey rod and tie some big nasty streamers for for big mean rainbows. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll hook on to a state record.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Also just remembered i'm building a rod too...not a tying project, but a winter project nonetheless

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I would also like to at least try to build my own rod this winter. Have you got your white Kabuto blank yet or did you decide on something else?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM

Blank ordered, just waiting on delivery.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan, I look forward to watching your project progress. You are damn good with the classic salmon flies, so I can only begin to imagine how the dries will turn out.

My winter tying pretty much consists of getting a start on flies for my 12 day spring fishing trip. I fill my box and my bud's. Add into that, a few flies that inspire me (many from this forum) and sometimes filling up on the steelhead flies I've ripped through. Maybe I have ADD at the bench, I need to change patterns every few dozen or so that I tie. Even if I go back to previous patterns in other colors.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Learning to use epoxy.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll continue making my traditional style flies so I don't get rusty and I have signed up to take some classes on techniques for tying articulated sculpins and Intruder style flies. These type of patterns require materials and tying skills / tricks that I do not have in house so I'll be going to town for some social interaction, it should be fun. The lessons will be given at a shop in Anchorage that carries a really great selection of materials so as I learn I can purchase all the items needed right on site.

Things start in mid November,

Ard
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to scrap 90% of my bass flies and start from scratch, plus Don Bastain is speaking at our club banquet, so that should provide some inspiration as well.

I have a stack of rods that need to be refinished/repaired and I'm giving some serious thought about wading into the vintage rod business