The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Does the size of wire really effect the midge? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/300373-does-size-wire-really-effect-midge.html)

nrp5087 10-24-2012 11:43 AM

Does the size of wire really effect the midge?

I only have the regular sized wired (not fine) will the trout notice this and render the fly ineffective or does it really not matter?

planettrout 10-24-2012 01:07 PM

Re: Does the size of wire really effect the midge?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrp5087 (Post 493418)
I only have the regular sized wired (not fine) will the trout notice this and render the fly ineffective or does it really not matter?

Segmentation is a very important factor when using Midges...use small twisted thread, Krystal Flash, Super Hair, Ice Thread and coat it with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails or Hard as Hull head cement - for durability,,,

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps49f6ea2b.jpg

PT/TB:)

mojo 10-24-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

You want fine?
Look for transformers. Not the kind in the movies. Doorbell, old cellphone or electronics chargers. Break them open and you have some fine wire for chirono's.

wt bash 10-24-2012 09:37 PM

Thanks Mojo! I can't believe that never dawned on me!

JoJer 10-25-2012 01:31 PM

I picked up three spools of recording wire at a yard sale-now I have fine wire in silver.
It's quite stiff so it's not easy to work with and it's steel so it can rust but I'm looking forward it inventing a pattern that uses it so I can include an impossible to locate material in "Wood's Wonder" that's absolutely irreplacable.

nrp5087 10-25-2012 03:25 PM

Sooooo my question was not really answered... does the larger wire render the fly useless because the trout will notice it? ill post some pics of the flies i tied and someone can tell me what they think

popperfly 10-25-2012 03:25 PM

In a pinch....You can go to your local hardware store or Radio Shack and find all kinds of wire, just cut the case off. Many different sizes available. :D

To answer your question, I guess it depends on the type of midge you’re tying? The size of midge determines the size of wire being used, example. If I am tying a size 22, I am usually ribbing with X-Small but if I was tying a brassie pattern (size 22) I might try small since the wire represents the segmented body on that pattern. When ribbing, it represents the divisions between the segments of the body, so size varies by pattern. Will the trout notice, I really can’t give you a straight answer…..my opinion, I would say yes if you use a large wire on a size 22 hook.

stimmy7 11-02-2012 01:04 PM

Useless? No. Larger wire typically also has more weight, so it may make it "fish" differently.

The big thing is perspective- if the wire is WAY LARGER than the other aspects of the fly, say approaching the diameter of the hook wire, then obviously, it won't look correct when moving through clear as glass, slow water to a fish who has the time to inspect it... but if its in rapidly moving, cloudy or roiling water, and the fish is hungry, and it REASONABLY represents what they normally see in the food chain... its unlikely it will be refused.

flytire 11-23-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrp5087 (Post 493747)
Sooooo my question was not really answered... does the larger wire render the fly useless because the trout will notice it? ill post some pics of the flies i tied and someone can tell me what they think

the short answer is that the wire will be just fine and if anything it will add a miniscule or so of weight. wire doesnt weigh as much as people think.