The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By planettrout
  • 3 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By stimmy7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Does the size of wire really effect the midge?

I only have the regular sized wired (not fine) will the trout notice this and render the fly ineffective or does it really not matter?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does the size of wire really effect the midge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
I only have the regular sized wired (not fine) will the trout notice this and render the fly ineffective or does it really not matter?
Segmentation is a very important factor when using Midges...use small twisted thread, Krystal Flash, Super Hair, Ice Thread and coat it with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails or Hard as Hull head cement - for durability,,,

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
mojo likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
You want fine?
Look for transformers. Not the kind in the movies. Doorbell, old cellphone or electronics chargers. Break them open and you have some fine wire for chirono's.
Guest1, fredaevans and rockriver like this.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thanks Mojo! I can't believe that never dawned on me!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I picked up three spools of recording wire at a yard sale-now I have fine wire in silver.
It's quite stiff so it's not easy to work with and it's steel so it can rust but I'm looking forward it inventing a pattern that uses it so I can include an impossible to locate material in "Wood's Wonder" that's absolutely irreplacable.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Sooooo my question was not really answered... does the larger wire render the fly useless because the trout will notice it? ill post some pics of the flies i tied and someone can tell me what they think
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

In a pinch....You can go to your local hardware store or Radio Shack and find all kinds of wire, just cut the case off. Many different sizes available.

To answer your question, I guess it depends on the type of midge you’re tying? The size of midge determines the size of wire being used, example. If I am tying a size 22, I am usually ribbing with X-Small but if I was tying a brassie pattern (size 22) I might try small since the wire represents the segmented body on that pattern. When ribbing, it represents the divisions between the segments of the body, so size varies by pattern. Will the trout notice, I really can’t give you a straight answer…..my opinion, I would say yes if you use a large wire on a size 22 hook.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Last edited by popperfly; 10-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Useless? No. Larger wire typically also has more weight, so it may make it "fish" differently.

The big thing is perspective- if the wire is WAY LARGER than the other aspects of the fly, say approaching the diameter of the hook wire, then obviously, it won't look correct when moving through clear as glass, slow water to a fish who has the time to inspect it... but if its in rapidly moving, cloudy or roiling water, and the fish is hungry, and it REASONABLY represents what they normally see in the food chain... its unlikely it will be refused.
oarfish likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Sooooo my question was not really answered... does the larger wire render the fly useless because the trout will notice it? ill post some pics of the flies i tied and someone can tell me what they think
the short answer is that the wire will be just fine and if anything it will add a miniscule or so of weight. wire doesnt weigh as much as people think.