The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Perhaps The Most Well Known Streamer of All Time;

classic pattern ard,
my brother turned me on to fishing them for dolly varden and i can tell you that it's hands down the most effective pattern i've ever fished for that species
great looking fly btw

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Casey,

I just warming up the fingers and vise for a long winter here. This one will need fine tuned before it gets its own thread but will make a good lure even with its faults

Same source; Stevens, Golden Witch

Click the image to open in full size.
madjoni, wt bash and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard, I have a bunch of older (early 1900's) straight eye fly hooks like that. Do you like the way they fish better than the down eye you usually see them on?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

KILLER Ard! I like that man! Its bummer though, I just ordered another pack of 3665As before you posted these and now I'm really liking the look of the Daiichi especially with the Limerick bend!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan,

I believe that the flies ride better and straiter with the loop or ring eyes. When you double down by using the slip knot when you tie them on they kinda pivot on the end of the line. If the wing and throat are working right they ride upright and look very much like a little minnow of many varieties depending on how you color them.

Hey Bill,

I just made another of those on a #6 long shank of the same style. It's much better in proportion and I'll probably post it under its name in the fly tying threads also. I'm going to work my way through all the feather wings I've ever used and make a few of each to smooth out the rusty spots........... Then the real challenge comes with the dry flies. I don't have any unused dries in the most productive patterns I used for all those years back east so I'm going to tie them all too. I am working at creating a few 'Plates' of patterns for a project I've been working at for a long time and so need the flies to photograph. I'm well aware that none of the ties will be perfect but the idea is to recreate the flies I used in the style that I tied and fished them. They were pretty nice stuff for fishing and had a special sort of home made charm to them. I used to look at the flies at some of the shops up Pine Creek and marvel at the fact that many were neater than my own tying. But then I excused the differences by thinking that I must have had my own style Anyway, I'm waiting for the head to dry on the second Gold Witch.....

Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

another beauty ard!!
well done my friend

casey

ARFE
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

I think another thread may be overkill so......... I made a second of the Golden Witch on a #6 hook same type just smaller. I like the way things look on the smaller hook although both should work just fine.

Way back on this thread I mentioned balance and the way a fly swims when in use. here is a look strait down to show what I meant by that. It looks the same from the bottom so I did a good job on this. Almost every one I ever made which had these properties worked just right, I thought so and so did the fishes.

madjoni likes this.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 PM

murderer!!
sweet fly man...

casey
madjoni likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-01-2012, 04:00 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
OK, now that you had a chance to look at the legging materials photo, can you tell me who's legs those are? I do and as soon as someone says everyone who didn't will say "Doh! I knew that!".
Those would belong to Marilyn Monroe!

Oops, I answered before I realized there were two more pages of responses...late to the party.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I've been wanting to tie a couple of the ghost var with the grizzly wings on them instead of the traditional blue dun color. I have a few I tied like that in the fly bin but havent done much else with them, maybe I will have to tie a couple this weekend.

Storm Drain Bonefisher