The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Number 1 Trout Producing Streamer (for me);

Great post and just what I was looking for. I'm in State College right now and will definately give this a go. Recently i have had luck with the green wenie and some larger size 10-8 streamers on Spring. I was looking for something new to tie and I found it. So its 5 feathers all together tinsel and bucktail? I think ill add a bead head to it

Thanks Ard
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I believe that a large part of the effectiveness of this type of fly is that in many watersheds you are showing the fish something different. Sometimes different can be a good thing. Once you have tied some and you take them to the water, pay close attention to how the fly acts and how much it will resemble a small fish. I find that they are best in moving water, if you use them in Loch's you'll need to figure out the best retrieval style for them. In moving water I fish them to the suspected holding spots and then accelerate the fly a bit so as to not give the fish a good long look at the fly. The reasoning behind this is to trigger the urge to pursue the fly but not allow time to discern that it is a fake.
... speaking only of the saltwater flatwing, of which the 9-3 was the inspiration...

They work so well for 2 reasons.

A) because the tail hackle lies flat, they tend to "hover" when at rest rather than sink.

B) with a slow retrieve, they have a very realistic "side to side" tail motion that you don't see with hackle wings mounted upright.

I'm not sure that with a trout sized streamer this would be as pronounced, but with the longer hackle of a saltwater sized streamer this is all very noticeable.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hope you don't mind Ard but here's a variation I tied up with the flat underwing in brown.
Click the image to open in full size.

The belly is olive bucktail with a orange marabou tip throat. I'm really liking the flatwing, I can see alot of variations coming into play this fall. Thanks for more inspiration Ard!
Hardyreels and thorsten like this.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Great post!! These posts do inspire me to try something new next time when I am tying some streamers

THORSTEN
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Bill,

The whole idea is to light a fire and get people using classic styled streamers, "mind" not hardly, I like it and betcha it'll work great.

Thorsten,

Tie them up, those German Brown Trout will love them just like their American cousins.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I need to pick up some black krystal flash... And maybe tone down my massive streamers for some more modest, classic ones I keep saying I'll this, maybe I'll tie one or two tonight and fish them tomorrow.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I don't find that surprising at all Paul, just since 2004 I have caught brown - rainbow - brook and steelhead trout on the fly. Silver salmon and Dolly Vardin Char along with a few grayling round out the past 8 seasons.

Maybe you've seen these pictures on some other threads;

I'll stick them on to help the new members and fly fishermen to understand that I don't just tie the flies and tell you to try them, I use them and fish love them. Otherwise I'd try to prefect my style at the bench and frame them.

Just since moving here to AK. I have met a fellow who could tie beautiful Spey flies. One day he called to ask how the fishing was up here in late April. I told him that things were slow and that I had spent almost 4 hours swinging a Sol Duc #2 without a bump. He replied; "You mean you actually fish whit those things"! I didn't know what to say but managed, "well yeah, that's why I make them, what do you use for trout"? He (without hesitation) told me that they would be drifting beads and flesh flies under 'indicators' when he and his buddy came out. We have never fished together.

Readers may as well prepare for a winters worth of Fly Tying because I am definitely a fly fisherman and can catch a fies on anything I make, it's just a matter of style. In essence isn't that what choosing to be a 'fly fisherman' is about, a style? Something to set you apart from the masses who crowd the streams on 'Opening Day' fish mongering for those stocked trout destined for high mortality levels? Well then I'll be tying for you and i you really wonder if the flies will work you're welcome to come fishing some time
I love the sound that reel makes with a large fish, on a streamer, headed downstream...

PT/TB
Hardyreels likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 PM

spioni is on a distinguished road

That's a nice looking fly and those are some great pictures! Seriously, nice camerawork!!!!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks Dave,

The fly was put forth as my #1 because it has caught all species of trout no matter where I used it. I think it is just a good representation of many bait fish from coast to coast along with north to south.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;