The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Theodor Gordon's Classic Pair;

A bit of nostalgia at the tying bench this morning............

To my knowledge the two most well known flies left us by Theodore Gordon were the Gordon Quill and his Bumble Puppy. The dry fly was part of growing up in North Central Pennsylvania although one could not drag your feet if you expected to fish this hatch. They were an early season fly (April) generally, and when you ran across a place that had them they were profuse. Where I fished a size 14 was the normal size for naturals but you could entice the trout with a 16 tied long as well.
The Bumble Puppy came of interest as my fishing horizons widened and to me it looked like a fine salmon or steelhead fly. I still have some very old ones that I wrapped in the 1981 - 85 range of time but made a fresh one today.

Click the image to open in full size.

Although as I became better at making flies I learned to bleach strip peacock herls and to build tapered bodies, this fly is tied as I did long ago. The herl stripped one by one using a pencil's eraser and the body thin along the shank. They worked fine and I saw no reason to change.

I was quite happy with the fly above; it is the first dry fly I've made since moving from Pennsylvania in 2004

There have been many variations of The Bumble Puppy and this is my take on history. We were fresh out of 'Scarlet Ibis' here at the house so I lashed an Amherst crest on for a tail........... The rest is pretty much as the man made them 100 years ago or as close as I was to get.

The fishes caught on these patterns came long before I had a pocket camera and of course before digital came on the scene but both were very good flies to fish with. I will put some Puppies in the rivers of Alaska next season and update on their results here.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gordon's Pair;

That Quill Gordon is exquisite. Wasn't quite sure what you had in mind in apost entitled Gordon's pair...????
Old 11-02-2012, 05:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice looking flies ard!
i like the narrow body on the quill as well
the streamer is interesting....never seen or heard of that fly prior to this thread

casey

ARFE
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks guys, you are way too kind in your comments but I'll accept them

Theodore Gordon became famous up on New York's Neversink River as a professional fly tier and fisherman. He is still referred to as the Father of Dry Fly Fishing in America. He was born in 1854 and passed in 1915 so in a sense he lived within a Golden Age in the North Eastern United States. By that description of his times I mean; born before the Civil War And passing prior to WWI. I don't know a whole lot about him other than he was a writer, fly tier, and a fly fisher. His tying of dry flies served as inspiration to many fishermen to come including myself.

When I was in full stride as a developing fly fisher and tier the Quill Gordon, GInger Quill and Light Cahill along with the venerable Adams and Hendrickson were the staple of my fishing top water. I'll whip up a Ginger Quill and a few others that were so important to me this evening and post them as well. Gordon did not originate these other patterns, although I mention them in this thread.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You're killing me Ard! All in one post you got me thinking about Dry Fly season and then thinking about toworrow, crisp chilly fall air ,dank musty leaves, and swinging streamers! Love it man keep it coming!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Thanks, Ard. It's really nice to hear the names of some files that I recognize. Though I never heard of the Bumble Puppy either. Except for right after ice out when I fished Black Ghosts almost exclusively in the Rangeley Lakes vicinity, I fished mostly dries in Maine and out west.

There was one river in particular in northern Maine where I did fish nymphs for landlocks. All their noses were scarred up, and according to the guy at a nearby general store, that was from rolling over stones in the river to get at the big black stonefly nymphs. Made sense to me since I'd never caught any in other areas that looked like that.

It's hard to believe how little I know of the names of flies. I've always just picked them out based on size, shape, quality of materials and hook, and color - and on the recommendation of guys in the fly shops of course. I'm going to have to start hanging around here more and learn something.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
That Quill Gordon is exquisite. Wasn't quite sure what you had in mind in apost entitled Gordon's pair...????
I wasn't either Ard...nice flies