The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:24 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default First attempt at a salmon fly

Thunder and lightning
Had to use what I had at hand
Ostrich not right quality, did'nt have black floss so used thread, didn't get the tapering of the thread correct and the uneveness of the rib always looks worse in the picture.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions welcomed.

Hugh

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: First attempt at a salmon fly

Not to shabby for a first attempt! Just keep at it and you start to get a feel for the proportions and you find little tricks that suit your tying for the tapering.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wonderful for a first go at it Hugh!

Have you looked at the Salmon Fly Tie Along that Pocono Ran about a year back? It will be helpful maybe.
This will link you to the thread; Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Good Work,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. Ard: thanks for the link, I found the stretch unifloss/burnishing trick so will be in business.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you're off to a good start!

Other than learning to work with the different feathers and feather barbs; which simply takes time, the most important consideration, I think, in tying ASF's is to keep your wraps to a minimum. Material build-up is the most challenging aspect of tying most ASF patterns (from the butt to the head; although the head is where most people have the greatest challenges). So, keep your thread flat, use a minimum of thread wraps; unwrap and re-wrap wherever you can as you tie in more materials and smooth your work as you go along.

Also, although the temptation with ASF's is to tie up a whole lot of different patterns (probably because there are so many interesting, attractive patterns to tie up), I think that the best path forward is to tie up the same pattern multiple times. Say, for instance, tie up a dozen of your first pattern; the Thunder and Lightning. You'll be amazed at the difference between your first and last fly.

Have fun and don't forget to fish the patterns that you tie. In my opinion, that first pattern of yours would do just fine for fishing salmon. Ard would be the expert in that area.

Pocono
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Very Good for a First attempt,The Salmon Flies I tied years ago were The Real Simple ones.
I would be more than Happy if my 1st attempt was as good tying one of The Classics.
Brian.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Nice job. I have never ventured into the Salmon flies. They are very challenging and take real patience to master. I agree with what one above said about picking one pattern, (like the one you tied) and tying a dozen of them. As you go you'll figure out the little things to make it right (or as close to perfect) by the 9th or 10th try.
BTW it looks like you did a lot of things really well in your first attempt.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:32 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

LaJolla: that looks very nice.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Looks pretty good to a newbie like me. Have the impression that fish aren't as critical of wrap uniformity, etc. as I am of my efforts.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I am guessing that only the fly tying critics would find any fault in this...I'm pretty sure the salmon would eat it in a heart beat!