The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Icelandic sheep hair clousers? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/302315-icelandic-sheep-hair-clousers.html)

brookfieldangler 11-14-2012 02:53 PM

Icelandic sheep hair clousers?

Has anyone ever tied any clousers using Icelandic sheep hair instead of deer hair?

I am heading out to Florida and want to tie up some pink/white and pink/chartreuse clousers but don't have any pink deer hair. I do have a ton of icelandic sheep hair though.

Any pros, cons, thoughts, etc...?

grassonfly 11-14-2012 05:31 PM

Re: Icelandic sheep hair clousers?

ive never used icelandic sheep but i cant imagine it would be bad. try it

brookfieldangler 11-15-2012 11:04 AM

I sat down for 5 minutes and whipped one up. It looks pretty nice! I think one really nice this with it is the ability to stack a ton of layers. If you wanted to go with 3 or 4 colors, it would be easily accomplished with the sheep hair without it becoming too bulky.

I think the only concern might be having the hair get tangled in the hook because it is muss less stiff than deer hair.

Rip Tide 11-15-2012 11:36 AM

I tied one once with the tail hair from my dog, a golden retriever.
The hair was much too supple and did foul. Didn't try that again. :D

You could always stiffen it up with a glue spine as with a mushmouth style fly

The Mushmouth Series
Quote:

The Mushmouth Series of flies were all designed to be non-fouling, quick-to-tie baitfish and squid imitations. The original version was made primarily of Angel Hair or Wing 'N Flash and since then innumerous variations have been created to match different baitfish with different materials. Any non-tapered synthetic or natural material can be used. Popular choices are Slinkyfibre, Unique Hair, Bozo Hair, PolyBear, Mega Mushy flash and natural yak hair. Tiers will find that each material has its own distinct purpose as their length and denier vary. As you might expect, longer and thicker fibers are best suited for big flies and shorter, finer fibers are best for smaller offerings.

The common element of all Mushmouth family members is a stiff, yet flexible spine of Super Hair and Softex or Soft Body Glue that extends past the hook bend. This Super Hair / Softex spine keeps the fly from fouling during the cast. It also helps the fly retain its profile when fished in fast current and protects it from becoming a one-fish wonder

tbblom 11-15-2012 11:39 AM

I have some Great Pyrenees deceivers that the bass seem to like.
My buddy trims his dog in the spring, I took a whole zip-lock.

drewbru 11-15-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookfieldangler (Post 498549)
I do have a ton of icelandic sheep hair though.

Any pros, cons, thoughts, etc...?

Hey there, BA. Fellow Brookfielder (IL) here too! How is it that you have a "ton of" Icelandic sheep hair? Just out of curiosity, because I do too. I'm a novice tier, I've used sheep (and alpaca) wool but haven't fished them yet so I'm curious how it works as well.

cheers!

brookfieldangler 11-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbru (Post 498803)
Hey there, BA. Fellow Brookfielder (IL) here too! How is it that you have a "ton of" Icelandic sheep hair? Just out of curiosity, because I do too. I'm a novice tier, I've used sheep (and alpaca) wool but haven't fished them yet so I'm curious how it works as well.

cheers!

Well, I bought a lot of it for some really big musky/pike flies. The stuff is awesome for reverse tying and building up a big profile without adding a ton of material.

The stuff is tantalizing in the water as well.

We might have to get out and fish some local waters soon since you are so close! Not a whole lot brookfield illinoisans who fly fish!

drewbru 11-15-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookfieldangler (Post 498806)
The stuff is tantalizing in the water as well.

We might have to get out and fish some local waters soon since you are so close! Not a whole lot brookfield illinoisans who fly fish!

I'll have to toss some of my flies on the water and see what's what. My wife has garbage bags full of sheep and alpaca wool (in many colors) that I've been thinking of messing around with. Maybe I'll pollute Salt Creek with some of my Frankenflies!

Guest1 11-15-2012 03:37 PM

I tried it. They look great in the box. It is way to limp for clousers though. It was a tangled mess in no time flat. If you are looking to make a longer clouser you can try this. Tie the two colors on the the bend and keep the tag end of the hair on just short of where the eyes go, add a bit of flash, Whip finish it and take it out of the vice. Slip a thin woven mylar tube over the hair ends and put it back in the vice. Restart the thread and tie on the eyes. Tie down the end of the mylar. Tie on the bucktail like you would a regular clouser. It makes a two stage clouser that is much longer than a regular clouser. If you have trouble with the front half flairing, and you probably well till you get the hang of tying them so they don't, you can softex the front of them and get the taper down perfect. These don't tangle and you get the bigger size you want. Icelandic sheep is good for a lot of stuff, but clousers isn't one of them.