The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By la_jolla1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Durham Ranger variant -

First attempt, so simply an expression of amazement that this was the outcome!! Tied with what I had in hand on a #6 hook and liberal substitutions and hornless. Little red feathers from golden pheasant skin just below the tippets subbed for Indian crow, and grizzly blue hen for kingfisher blue hen, and something blue (much too blue) for chatterer. Used golden badger for the hackle. Wing is vertical and only slightly rolled in parts, hard to see the big JC eyes through the gap between the bars, ribbing a size too thick and the twisted tinsel a size too small, and an errant loop on the butt. But a heap of fun. Tied the topping a touch too long.

All C&C's welcome

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Durham Ranger variant -

And with that you'll be on your way, tying salmon flies is both a great hobby and is very rewarding when you find yourself standing along a river that has some salmon in it. I've been tying them since I was 23 years old and still enjoy making them. If you decide to expand with this realm of tying you'll find yourself looking for some additional materials. Some things I have never had, the Indian Crow for instance; been subbing it for the long haul but others you'll want.

If you find that you're having a time of finding things send a PM and I'll tell you what I know. have you looked at Pocono's Salmon Fly Tie Along thread in the 'Fly Tiers Round table' forums? There you will find many tips and practice ties to help you along the way, he did a wonderful job with that thread! Allan, (Pocono) is also a well of info on where to source materials so drop him a line too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Ard. Absolutely been through Pocono's thread - outstanding - decided that with enough time and concentration a tippet winged fly could be done. Not ready for married wings, and will now tie a few of these in different sizes until I am happy. Put in an order during the week and waiting for it to arrive, but was itching to try something on my one remaining salmon hook.

Wouldn't have dared even try without having seen the salmon tie along, and realizing that maybe I could try. Kudos to the forum.
Hardyreels and Pocono like this.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

No criticism from me,You have done a Nice Job,here's hoping one day any I Tie can end up that good.
Brian.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hugh: Very nice indeed, it always amazes me when I see some of those fancy salmon flies and how nicely the head turns out despite all the material that is tied in.

Larry

Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hugh, that's a nice first Salmon Fly; particularly on a #6 hook!

I find it's actually harder to tie on smaller hooks than it is on larger ones. The key with larger ones is to be able to source feathers that are long enough and of high enough quality to work on, say, a 3/0 or 5/0 hook.

Another thing that makes it easier to deal with all of the feathers that you have to tie in, is to use a blind eye hook; where the eye end tapers to a point at the tip; giving you more room to tie in materials without bulking up the eye. PM Eunan (s. fontinalis) for more info on using blind eyes.

There's a whole family of 'Rangers" and related patterns. The whole wing Salmon flies have always been a favorite of mine.

Pocono