The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default well, i dipped my toe in the dry fly water tonight....

At the symposium on saturday Rob Schreiner stopped by my table and we talked for quite a while. We got to dry flies and he mentioned he'd tied some trout fin married wing dry flies.

So today i watched a few dry fly videos to gauge the approximate techniques

THis is the outcome - Married Quill Wing Parachute Olive Trout Fin (a mouthful, and hopefully literally for some fish!!)
I'm not entirely happy with the result as id like to have a few things back.
1. Bigger parachute hackle (much bigger) and better finished off hackle
2. smaller head
3. slightly wider wings (in terms of wing fibers)
4. dry fly hook rather than wet fly.

That said, not a bad first real effort at dry flies

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.

fredaevans, madjoni, newby and 1 others like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: well, i dipped my toe in the dry fly water tonight....

I saw this on instagram, man you make anything look nice haha
I love how the wing looks just like a brookie fin, I can see it having a better "dry fly" look if it was vertical hackle

looks awesome though, I hate tying anything smaller than a 12 though xD
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Very nice, I really like the look on the wing!

Larry

Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Yeah, you really nailed the wing. Love the fanned out look and the details of blending colours. Nice.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

You are tough on your self Eunan.When someone constantly makes one kind of flies like wets or streamers it is not easy to switch right away to do perfect dries

This fly is good,and for next one you need just need bigger hackle.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:57 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I bet that fly would be a mouthful on the Brookie streams, and I bet the fish that ate my indicator the other day would be happy to eat that too. I wonder if the color of the wing would act as a subtle simulator? Super cool fly either way!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-22-2012, 12:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I bet the fish that ate my indicator the other day would be happy to eat that too
#6 Orange Wulff, its gonna happen this season.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I like the look of the fly but I have one caution on flies with paired solid wings. Unless the wings are perfectly balanced aerodynamically, the fly will helicopter and twist the leader.

That is why Lee Wulff used calf tail fibers for his Wulff patterns. They look solid to the trout but the air goes through them when casting.

If you are going to actually fish the flies test cast them.
wt bash likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

many folks have said the same thing.
I think i'm gonna refine the pattern a bit before i fish them in the spring. Theres not many dry flies about this time of year.

Thanks for all the input guys. If nothing else it was a learning experience. At least i know i can tie a half decent dry fly (or at least dry fly style)

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-22-2012, 07:12 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Not bad Eunan. For just getting into drys thats got to be one of the toughest to start out with. Couple things that may help you. I usually would make the wing one or two barbs wider then the gap of the hook. I think for a size 12 hook I would use 14. The other thing is I wouldn't wrap the hackle parachute style on a quill wing. When you make your wraps your going to cup the wing in the direction of your wrap. I can see it in your top view photo. I don't even make "X" wraps to separate the wings because that can twist them up also, there is an easyer way to separate them. If you like I can send you a copy of an article I did for Hatches magazine that gets into tying quill wings. Just send me your address.