The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hook size FYI

I recently bought hooks of a different brand than I normally do, and I did it on-line. I bought them in a different brand because Mustad stopped making them. The reason I bring this up is that their ideas of a 1/0 hook are radically different. I have run into this before, but this was the worst case of it I have ever seen. Here are the Mustad and Daiichi hooks side by side. Both companies call them a 1/0 hook.
Click the image to open in full size.
I just ordered the Daiichi hooks in a 5/0. When they arrive I will post a photo of them side by side. These are the hooks I use most for my Pike flies. If any of you have run across a situation like this, maybe you could post it here so nobody ends up with hooks the wrong size for what they want.
mudbug likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hook size FYI

Dan

I've run into this before, but not nearly to that big of a difference, it will interesting to see the comparison of the 5/0 hook.

Larry

Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Big difference! I've seen it with SW hooks before especially steel compared to wire . I wonder how a 1/0 SW hook would look next to those 2?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I mentioned these in your other thread. I said the Daiichi hooks are the same size as the Gamakatsu hooks, but looking at them side by side I can see the #6 Daiichi hooks are actually a bit smaller that the #8 Gamakatsu hooks.

I was tying some stuff with the Gamas and wanted something a bit bigger so I bought the Daiichi hooks. I did not get what I was hoping for.

mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan

I've run into this before, but not nearly to that big of a difference, it will interesting to see the comparison of the 5/0 hook.

Larry
Yah, I had seen it before, but this was ridiculous. I have the 37187's in a size 10 that are closer to the same size as the Daiihci, than the two 1/0's are. It kind of seems like these are arbitrary size denominations. Not much in the way of industry standards.

Mudbug, your hooks look like they have the sizes reversed don't they? I wonder if it is just Daiichi has a habit of going smaller than everyone else.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I see it in the different style steelhead irons its not as much as what you have pictured there but enough that I noticed. I imagine for the folks fishing the NY tribs it could end up a sticky situation with the hook gape regulations.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

I've seen it enough times, that I buy one brand...one type anymore. You guys may laugh, but I use Eagle Claw Aberdeens for my streamers and poppers. American made too!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
You guys may laugh, but I use Eagle Claw Aberdeens for my streamers and poppers. American made too!
I would never laugh at that! ( serious face) I use them in my Clousers and have for a few years now. I use pliars to bend the eye down. I can bend them out enough to save them when I hook up on the bottom, unless I hook the eyes. I've caught Pike as big as 43 inches on them and not lost a single fish to them straightening out. But they have saved me a countless number of flies.
All but the top Clouser on the left are on #2 Aberdeen hooks. They are all on Aberdeens though. Some are up to 1/0.
And they glow in the dark.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess the size difference by brands has been going on for a long time! Been reading Flies by J Edson Leonard written in 1950. He has several hook size charts featuring Allcock hooks and Mustads . The hooks per size by each brand are clearly different with the Mustads being larger in all categories. Funny thing is he's got a diagram of the standard gauge for hooks on the opposing page from the two brand pictures!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

only when the fly tying hook industry adopts any kind of standards will one companies hooks equal another companies hooks regarding sizes.

is it possible the daiichi hooks were mislabeled? its a possibility