The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By la_jolla1
  • 1 Post By Pocono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jay&Orange spider for Thanksgiving

Got an amazing quality European Blue Jay skin dyed olive from Laurie on this forum. Decided to tie some spiders as the chest feathers make an amazing soft hackle. Colors are pumpkin and fall for the season .

Thread: Pearsall's Orange silk
Rib: when returning the thread, shade lightly on one side only with brown cobbler's wax to create light dark effect
Thorax: Red UV ice dub
Hackle: jay chest feather

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono, mcnerney, wt bash and 1 others like this.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Jay&Orange spider for Thanksgiving

Bread and butter fly right there! I love softhackles however simple or dressed up. Definitely one of the first out of the box!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet looking pattern! I don't fish softhackles much, but need to change that next session.

Larry

Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Soft hackles: one of my favorite categories of wet flies. Nice tie there, la_jolla.

The black cobblers wax regime also works very well on Greenwell's Glory (butcher's wax on Pearsall's primrose silk) and on Stewart's Black Spider (butcher's wax on Pearsall's brown silk).

By the way, if you like soft hackles, then try Stewart's Black Spider; very buggy looking with the palmered twisted hackle, and almost alway a success when the fish are not taking top water flies.

Pocono
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pocono - I have to try that - it is a fly I haven't come across - do you have the recipe or a reference for the Stewart's?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, la_jolla1; a pic SBS on the tie. Note the change from the brown tying thread to the butcher's waxed tying thread. I used Danville's FlyMaster 6/0 brown thread on this; instead of Pearsall's silk; it makes for a thinner body, which I like on this pattern.

Here's the important step: twisting the hackle before you palmer it:

And there you go; Stewart's Black Spider.

Here are the materials that you'll need to tie up this pattern:

In my experience, this pattern works very well on trout.

Pocono
la_jolla1 likes this.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Hi Pocono:

Many, many thanks for that!!! Looks like an excellent fly and I will twist up a few.

Best

Hugh
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Pocono,

I keep hearing about Butcher's Wax and every time I search for it all I find is some furniture wax.

Where to you find the black hard wax?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Well, the wax itself is relatively inexpensive, but the information on how to source it is .................. well, exhorbitant.......................

Just kiddin' around. Here's a good source:

Feathersmc.com: Cobblers Wax

This is John Mclain's site: FeathersMC; a great place to source good materials.

Pocono