The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   gold ribbed hares ear! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/3032-gold-ribbed-hares-ear.html)

GeorgeMcFly 01-09-2008 11:38 PM

gold ribbed hares ear!

6 Attachment(s)
got me this mag lamp for 20 bux today! it helps wonders! look at this hares ear I made with it tonight. prolly the best one I ever done so far! looks just like the shops! lol well maybe not cause I almost crowded the head as usual. what ya think? you ask how can a man fit so much stuff on such a lil desk!! lmao

GeorgeMcFly 01-10-2008 12:17 AM

Re: gold ribbed hares ear!

2 Attachment(s)
just looking back and had to post this. my 1st ever fly I ever tied! a gold ribbed hares ear. lmao! I can laugh about it now. now I kno the more you practice the better it makes you. also the online tutorials and videos help alot! :wink:

fyshstykr 01-10-2008 12:26 AM

Being able to see what your doing makes a huge difference, I use the jeweler type magnifiers that you can flip up and down.

GeorgeMcFly 01-10-2008 12:31 AM

ya fysh I was gonna get basic reading glasses cause my uncle let me try um on for a sec but then I seen this and had to get it. but I did move it sometimes when I had to and then used it when I am tying stuff in and all that. I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy. had to be strain of the eyes. **** I got contacts as is lol. the glasses you got sound like they would work great too. another thing I think that made it look great was that I used regular hares mask instead of the nymph natural dubbing dispenser I got. that stuff seems synthetic or something

fyshstykr 01-10-2008 12:38 AM

Yes, magnafication can mess with your eyes at times, gotta take breaks now and then.
What kind of light bulb are you using?

fyshstykr 01-10-2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly (Post 18491)
ya fysh I was gonna get basic reading glasses cause my uncle let me try um on for a sec but then I seen this and had to get it. but I did move it sometimes when I had to and then used it when I am tying stuff in and all that. I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy. had to be strain of the eyes. **** I got contacts as is lol. the glasses you got sound like they would work great too. another thing I think that made it look great was that I used regular hares mask instead of the nymph natural dubbing dispenser I got. that stuff seems synthetic or something

I see that, guard hairs make a nymph nice and buggy looking.

Do you tie with Angora Goat hair much yet? Also makes fantastic looking nymphs and wet flies.

GeorgeMcFly 01-10-2008 12:59 AM

the magnification didn't hurt me. it was before I had it that bothered me when I tried to stare at a size 14 hook for 30 + min lol. . I am just using a regular light bulb thats built into the mag glass but not sure of the watts. the mag glass just plugs into the wall with a cord. before I had no light but the one built in the ceiling haha. I used the guard hairs for the tail and the short underfur I pulled off it for the body dubbing. I have tried the angora for sucker spawns. but not nymph bodies. I only got white. but gander mountain . those punks never got the good colors of anything tho!!! lol... they got every color but the ones u need it seems so I got to get everything online. ohio isn't a big fly fishing place to have fly shops all around I guess

fyshstykr 01-10-2008 01:22 AM

Take a look here for Angora Goat. www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fishing Stillwaters
Great tying materials.
Denny Rickards is a class act and catches some HUGE fish, you should check out his videos and DVD's.

shorthaul 01-10-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly (Post 18491)
I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy.

lol george----i get dizzy too then i get up and have 2 fingers of Chivas Regal and tie some more---the flies look real good at the end of the night but real bad when i offer them to the trout on the stream

hmmm maybe i need a flask for the stream so i can compare apples to apples

nice hares ear george

GeorgeMcFly 01-10-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorthaul (Post 18505)
lol george----i get dizzy too then i get up and have 2 fingers of Chivas Regal and tie some more---the flies look real good at the end of the night but real bad when i offer them to the trout on the stream

hmmm maybe i need a flask for the stream so i can compare apples to apples

nice hares ear george

haha you know it!! I made this hen when it was 12 30 at night after a couple beers. I am gonna go look at it to make sure it looks good still lol.