The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default gold ribbed hares ear!

got me this mag lamp for 20 bux today! it helps wonders! look at this hares ear I made with it tonight. prolly the best one I ever done so far! looks just like the shops! lol well maybe not cause I almost crowded the head as usual. what ya think? you ask how can a man fit so much stuff on such a lil desk!! lmao
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNV30215.JPG (84.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30214.JPG (77.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SNV30213.JPG (75.9 KB, 22 views)

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: gold ribbed hares ear!

just looking back and had to post this. my 1st ever fly I ever tied! a gold ribbed hares ear. lmao! I can laugh about it now. now I kno the more you practice the better it makes you. also the online tutorials and videos help alot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st%20hares%20ear%20fly1.JPG (94.2 KB, 17 views)

Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to see what your doing makes a huge difference, I use the jeweler type magnifiers that you can flip up and down.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 AM

ya fysh I was gonna get basic reading glasses cause my uncle let me try um on for a sec but then I seen this and had to get it. but I did move it sometimes when I had to and then used it when I am tying stuff in and all that. I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy. had to be strain of the eyes. **** I got contacts as is lol. the glasses you got sound like they would work great too. another thing I think that made it look great was that I used regular hares mask instead of the nymph natural dubbing dispenser I got. that stuff seems synthetic or something

Old 01-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, magnafication can mess with your eyes at times, gotta take breaks now and then.
What kind of light bulb are you using?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
ya fysh I was gonna get basic reading glasses cause my uncle let me try um on for a sec but then I seen this and had to get it. but I did move it sometimes when I had to and then used it when I am tying stuff in and all that. I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy. had to be strain of the eyes. **** I got contacts as is lol. the glasses you got sound like they would work great too. another thing I think that made it look great was that I used regular hares mask instead of the nymph natural dubbing dispenser I got. that stuff seems synthetic or something

I see that, guard hairs make a nymph nice and buggy looking.

Do you tie with Angora Goat hair much yet? Also makes fantastic looking nymphs and wet flies.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 AM

the magnification didn't hurt me. it was before I had it that bothered me when I tried to stare at a size 14 hook for 30 + min lol. . I am just using a regular light bulb thats built into the mag glass but not sure of the watts. the mag glass just plugs into the wall with a cord. before I had no light but the one built in the ceiling haha. I used the guard hairs for the tail and the short underfur I pulled off it for the body dubbing. I have tried the angora for sucker spawns. but not nymph bodies. I only got white. but gander mountain . those punks never got the good colors of anything tho!!! lol... they got every color but the ones u need it seems so I got to get everything online. ohio isn't a big fly fishing place to have fly shops all around I guess

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Take a look here for Angora Goat. www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fishing Stillwaters
Great tying materials.
Denny Rickards is a class act and catches some HUGE fish, you should check out his videos and DVD's.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:08 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I had to get something cause I would tie like 3 flies and get real dizzy.

lol george----i get dizzy too then i get up and have 2 fingers of Chivas Regal and tie some more---the flies look real good at the end of the night but real bad when i offer them to the trout on the stream

hmmm maybe i need a flask for the stream so i can compare apples to apples

nice hares ear george
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
lol george----i get dizzy too then i get up and have 2 fingers of Chivas Regal and tie some more---the flies look real good at the end of the night but real bad when i offer them to the trout on the stream

hmmm maybe i need a flask for the stream so i can compare apples to apples

nice hares ear george
haha you know it!! I made this hen when it was 12 30 at night after a couple beers. I am gonna go look at it to make sure it looks good still lol.