The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Bombers, Green Machines and other bugs.

Hi everyone,
I am starting out my fly tying and a large portion of what we throw at the fish are the green machine and bomber variety. I need to know how to get the deer hair to stick up when I build them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

John

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bombers, Green Machines and other bugs.

Its hard to explain but I'll try. Take a good clump of deer hair set it next to the hook shank and take two loose wraps around it spinning the hair around the shank as you go. once you feel like the the hair is 360 around the shank tighten down on your thread and then the hair will flair out standing straight up, lock it down best you can and then push or pack the hair back and start your next clump rise lather and repeat to you have the body as dense as you like, then with a double edged shaving razor (for flexibility) "shave the body down to your preferred dimensions. You may want to check out youtube for a visual aid too, hope the helps.
mcnerney, baseman1 and brucerducer like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Awesome thanks that certainly helped.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I should have added that its going to make you wanna curse the first time. Spinning deer hair is a pain in the keester but it gets easier as you go.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

green machines were one of the first flies I really gave a good go with, watch some videos, and when you sit down to tie them, tie 10+ your first few will be bad, but the 10th will be 100 times better
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

WT's advice is exactly on target. To see it visually, checkout YouTube. Here is an example for spinning deer hair.

Larry
baseman1 and brucerducer like this.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I had just finished watching that clip. I may have to try one tonight as I watch GB beat up on NY.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A trick for doing the hackle on those is to tie the shaft of the feather to the head after you trim the hair down. Strip the feather back to where it meets the back of the body. Work the shaft down into the hair and then start wrapping forward. It save a lot of grief when you accidentally clip of the hackle feather by tying it into the butt end. By the way, I didn't invent that idea. I assume it was invented by some guy that accidently trimmed off his hackle and came up with it to save a fly. It wirks great and looks exactly the same. I should take photos of some of the ones I have tied. I have a bunch of them I tied just because I liked doing them.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Another cool aspect of tying in the hackle as Dan suggested is when the hackle gets beat up and sparse you can clip it off from the head unwind it and tie in a fresh one.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

No one mentioned strong thread...

6/0 and you will be cursing
3/0 will work if you are careful
210+ denier will make life easier

Supposedly gel spun or mono will cut through the deer hair when pulled taught, something that lays flat is best.

Funny looking fly, but I guess they work!
il_wi_fishing likes this.