The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry Fly Hackles

I agree, 100 packs are not the most economical overall. However I find there are times they are very much worth it to me. For example, I use black hackle only in size 20 or 22. I get it from someone for about $18 and it lasts me a very long time since I don't use much at all on each fly. Additionally, I bought some olive grizzly 100 packs that covered 12's and 14's. I only tie a few patterns with that color and they are in that size range. I don't tie very many each year. Buying a whole cape would leave me with many feathers I wouldn't use. Buying a whole saddle would be pricey. Sure, over the long term it may pay off, but with the way I tie with the grizzly olive and the black hackle it would be a very long term.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dry Fly Hackles

I think part of my problem with 100 packs is the basically replaced the 1/4 saddle. I had a 1/4 saddle in grizzly olive that I bought few years ago for 14.99 (sold it during the hair craze). Once the 100 packs hit the pushed the price of the 1/4 saddles up to around $20. Even today you can get a 1/4 saddle for $25 bucks. Why someone would pay 18.50 for 100 pack and not get a quarter saddle for $6.50 more is still beyond me. The quarter saddle will give you two sizes and probably tie between 250 and 500 flies.