The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Dry Fly Hackles

Anyone have any experience with the Whiting Introductory Hackle packs.
They come in any of the following combinations for $60 for 4 halfs
4 half capes
2 half capes 2 half saddles
4 half saddles

They're ungraded, but apparently are equal to or better than bronze grade.
colors are generally brown, grizzly, white/black, dun

I think for $60, its a great investment considering i just bought dun half saddle for $25 shipped.

So anyone got any experience with them?

An

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM

pilgrimdg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dry Fly Hackles

Can't help, but I would be interested in finding the answer if you get it. I too am considering this pack. I got the Metz small sampler a while back, and it seemed like way fewer feathers than I expected.
I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle, and therefore an enemy of the Otter: for you are to note, that we Anglers all love one another, and therefore do I hate the Otter both for my own, and their sakes who are of my brotherhood.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've used about every type / brand name of the genetic hackles that have been available. Prior to these super high grade capes being available in my area I raised chickens myself and bought Indian capes in bulk batches. Regardless of the producer, the only way I know of to get exactly what you want in size, sheen, and so on is to be able to actually handle and examine the capes.

If you have no shops that have them so that you can remove them from the package for a close look then you may well have to go by what the seller says about these feathers. I have bought Whiting Farms capes and it was often possible to find lower grade capes that were for all practical intent, impossible to discern from the next level of grade and cost. So.......they will probably be just fine.

I have a lot of Metz & Keough capes and they have always been a good quality. Have you looked to see what they offer.

I just read the post right above this one; if you can swing it, buy whole capes. Unless you go crazy a good set of necks will last for many, many years to come.

Ard
s fontinalis and brucerducer like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Check out KCC Feathers on the auction site.. he has some good quality dry hackle capes and saddles.. usually go for $25 and under.. auction style.

Other day I snagged myself a White River Med Dun cape for under $20... Also have a really nice furnace colored cape that I only paid like $10 for and they sent me a free saddle.. gotta love the auction site
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

how is the barb stiffness on those capes. Just looking at their site now, and they look ok. But, i want stiff barbs.
As an example i tied a dry fly with a whiting bugger hackle, which looks stiff, but is actually pretty soft.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

I have gradually replaced all my old capes with Whiting - Hebret-miner bronze or silver or Whiting bronze. They are all amazing and much easier to tie with than the Metz I used to have. No issue with them - choose colors wisely.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
how is the barb stiffness on those capes. Just looking at their site now, and they look ok. But, i want stiff barbs.
As an example i tied a dry fly with a whiting bugger hackle, which looks stiff, but is actually pretty soft.
The ones i've gotten from this seller called "Nimrod Tackle" had very stiff barbs.. I have a grizzly cape from KCC with pretty stiff barbs.. but i haven't played around with enough different types to say if its super stiff.. or on the softer side

Last edited by itchmesir; 11-25-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: was wrong...
Old 11-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
I have gradually replaced all my old capes with Whiting - Hebret-miner bronze or silver or Whiting bronze. They are all amazing and much easier to tie with than the Metz I used to have. No issue with them - choose colors wisely.
Yeah, i have a whitingHebert silver half saddle in dun and the barbs are 'stiff'. Great for dries, but wrong color for my current projects.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

S Font - I've purchased two intro packs in the past when the hackle shortage was in full swing. They both came with 4 half capes and were perfect for my needs. Hackle sizes on mine ranged from 12-18, with a few smaller than that. I would say that they would grade at the bronze level and maybe a touch higher. For $60, it's a good deal if you can find one with the colors you need. Fortunately I did, and that was why I bought two of them.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan to tie up a lot of dries of the same size and the same or similar pattern, then have a look at the Whiting 100 packs; very even hackle sizes and good stiffness for dry flies.

Pocono
jaybo41 and wt bash like this.