The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Fan Wing Adams (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/303454-fan-wing-adams.html)

s fontinalis 11-26-2012 06:43 AM

Fan Wing Adams
 
Slight variant in that my grizzly hackles weren't up to the job, but you get the general idea.

The brown hackles arent the best either, but new 'dry fly hackles' on order, so all will be corrected soon enough.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/DSC00184.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q...0/DSC00183.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R...0/DSC00182.JPG

ted4887 11-26-2012 08:50 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
That fly looks pretty alright to me! Nicely done

wt bash 11-26-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.

s fontinalis 11-26-2012 09:29 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 501572)
I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.

:secret:When i get better hackles, "i'll see what i can do"

itchmesir 11-26-2012 09:30 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before

s fontinalis 11-26-2012 10:09 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 501578)
Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before


IF the hackles are long enough i wind them by hand, but i know what you mean about poor hackle pliers...

dean_mt 11-26-2012 10:54 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.

s fontinalis 11-26-2012 11:25 AM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 501603)
Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.

For green drake you can tie them an olive color, including the wings.

They're actually a pretty easy tie
Wings
Tail
Body
Hackle.

The trick of course is setting the wings, but i tie them in together and then post them a bit to get them upright. I bet that will resolve your wing setting problem

dean_mt 11-26-2012 12:15 PM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
I think used some of the darker feathers from a partridge skin for the wings, olive body of course and and moose body for the tail. By "keep it upright" I meant the fly on the water. They are tippy, but better hackle would help.

la_jolla1 11-26-2012 12:24 PM

Re: Fan Wing Adams
 
Nice tie!! For myself, being both lazy and utilitarian, I almost never tie a split wing anymore because of tippet twisting. I either tie wingless in the north country "duster" style, parachute, or for a hair wing, a single wing post pointing forward over the eye. My sense over the years is that less is more when it comes to hard fished waters.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.