The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:43 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Fan Wing Adams

Slight variant in that my grizzly hackles weren't up to the job, but you get the general idea.

The brown hackles arent the best either, but new 'dry fly hackles' on order, so all will be corrected soon enough.

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 5 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fan Wing Adams

That fly looks pretty alright to me! Nicely done
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.
When i get better hackles, "i'll see what i can do"

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before

IF the hackles are long enough i wind them by hand, but i know what you mean about poor hackle pliers...

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.
For green drake you can tie them an olive color, including the wings.

They're actually a pretty easy tie
Wings
Tail
Body
Hackle.

The trick of course is setting the wings, but i tie them in together and then post them a bit to get them upright. I bet that will resolve your wing setting problem

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I think used some of the darker feathers from a partridge skin for the wings, olive body of course and and moose body for the tail. By "keep it upright" I meant the fly on the water. They are tippy, but better hackle would help.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Nice tie!! For myself, being both lazy and utilitarian, I almost never tie a split wing anymore because of tippet twisting. I either tie wingless in the north country "duster" style, parachute, or for a hair wing, a single wing post pointing forward over the eye. My sense over the years is that less is more when it comes to hard fished waters.