The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM

alligator is on a distinguished road
Default Locator?

I usually fish alone, often in areas where there are few fishermen. At 65 my "wheels" are not as good as I'd like (replacement knee, trick ankle, balance, etc.) and occasionally I take a fall. If I were injured, I could be in real trouble.

I'm considering getting a locator, i.e., a device that would send out a signal that I'm in trouble and where I am. But they are expensive and I'm not sure how well they work.

In many of these areas my cell phone does not get reception, so would the signal even reach anyone? What if I was unconscious? Also, the reviews on these devices are very mixed. This technology may have a ways to go.

Any comments? Recommendations?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Locator?

heres one for about $250

ACR ResQLink

the question only you can answer: is my life worth $250? if it is then you would have to think about getting one.

always tell someone at home where you are going and for how long you think you will be gone for. if you dont return within the allotted time, the can call the proper authorities and begin a search.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't used it personally but here's a review I read a bit ago. Some money but seems to have some good features including aiding rescue when needed.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Do you ever carry your cell phone on your person? I've been in areas where it'll seem I have absolutely no signal and the next second I hear my text ringtone go off..

You should also remember with these "ResQLinks" you still usually need some sort of clearance and be able to find a clearing to really make use of them... signals can still be blocked by bluffs, hills, canopies

Best option.. Tell people where you are going.. When the latest is you would be back.. That way if you're not around.. no one has heard from you.. they can call 911..

Not sure what kind of phone you have.. But there is a program for smart phones that's called Google Latitude that'll pinpoint your location for others to see(if they are on your Google Latitude acct)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Have two -three hundred dollars in cash in your pocket. That will give them more of an incentive to find you.

A Whistle should be standard equipment for everybody, even if you carry a cell phone.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Found this article on the Backpacker Magazine website...

Quote:
You’re lost, stuck in a ravine miles from the nearest road. Hoping for a quick rescue, you power up your cell phone. Dang. No signal. Discouraged, you turn it off.

Wait. Did you just make a huge mistake?

Even if your phone has no service, attempting to dial 911 or leaving the phone turned on intermittently could transmit an electronic lifeline that lets rescuers know you’re alive.

Here’s how it works.

In the ideal scenario, calling 911 on a cell phone connects you to the nearest PSAP (public safety answering point). Before the 911 operator can ask, “What’s your emergency?” a computer has already triangulated your latitude and longitude coordinates to within a few hundred feet using signal telemetry, your phone’s GPS chip, or both. It even assigns your location a degree of error. If you’re a lost hiker, the 911 operator transmits that position to local police and SAR teams so they know where to find you.

But what happens when your 911 call doesn’t go through?

Well, the wireless provider may still have recorded the exact time you activated your phone to make a call. Before any call is initiated, a cell phone and the nearest tower greet each other with a digital “handshake.” Unlike voice calls or text messages, these electronic packets require very little energy to send or receive. Sometimes these handshakes transmit when your phone indicates no reception. Sometimes they bounce off towers that your phone doesn’t have permission to use. And sometimes they get through when they shouldn't–like in remote and mountainous terrain. Different cell towers and nodes can share these handshakes, too. In almost all cases, the data trail is logged and saved on computers owned by wireless service providers. When someone goes missing, law enforcement officials can find out that person's cell phone number, call the service provider's special emergency hotline, and access the data trail for a specific phone.

What does this mean for lost hikers?

It means your phone can contact cell towers—sending and receiving tiny electronic breadcrumbs—even if your ability to communicate is zilch. That could let rescuers know that you're alive and to continue searching. Note: This is why you should include your cell number and network provider with the itinerary details you leave with trusted family and friends. (For a real-life case study of a rescue in which "digital handshaking" helped save a lost hiker, check out our upcoming May issue.)

Keep in mind, however, not all SAR members know about these hidden messages that cell phones can leave. Many SAR teams are experts in lost-person behavior. They know how people are drawn to linear terrain features like roads and rivers. They know to interview friends of family to develop a search profile. And many rescuers are outfitted with high-tech navigation and safety gear. But when it comes to communications technology, SAR teams can find themselves as out-paced as the rest of us. The November 2006 death of James Kim in Oregon is one example of family members blaming rescue leaders for ignoring technology. The arrival of more powerful cell phones, and even satellite-enhanced smartphones, suggests the complexity of this problem will only increase. In a perfect world, better technology means more lost hikers are rescued. But we all know the imperfect ways that technology meshes with nature.

So what should you do?

If you own a cell phone, bring it on every hike. Before you leave, give your phone number and service provider to your check-in contact. Plus, don’t think that a cell phone or GPS is a substitute for a good map and accurate compass. Keep your phone turned off during the hike, but power it up occasionally to check for service (and to drop some digital breadcrumbs). If you become dangerously lost or injured, dial 911 even if you don’t have strong service. For better service, head for higher ground—cell phones operate by line-of-sight radio waves. And finally, just be careful out there.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:39 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting thread.

I'm 65, too, and fish almost exclusively where there are no other fisherman. Further, cell phone coverage where I usually am is bad or non-existent.

My iPhone has the 'find my iPhone' app on it. I don't know if that's any better than cell coverage. I doubt it. I'll try it when I next get to my fishing spots.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM

I stumble around and have issues walking(not medically.. just clumsy).. and I'm just a 30something... You older fellows give me hope that there's still plenty of stream side fishing left in my life.. I was fearing I'd have to give in to ice fishing

Ran into a fellow last winter that had parked an access further down stream from me.. and I found him well ahead of me.. he was easily in his 60s.. and I was getting tired by the time I had gotten to where he was!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I stumble around and have issues walking(not medically.. just clumsy).. and I'm just a 30something... You older fellows give me hope that there's still plenty of stream side fishing left in my life.. I was fearing I'd have to give in to ice fishing

Ran into a fellow last winter that had parked an access further down stream from me.. and I found him well ahead of me.. he was easily in his 60s.. and I was getting tired by the time I had gotten to where he was!
My doctor says that, medically, 60 is the new 40.
Of course, in his next sentence he says I shouldn't be fishing alone.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
My doctor says that, medically, 60 is the new 40.
Of course, in his next sentence he says I shouldn't be fishing alone.
\

Lewis Black says it best.... “Sixty isn’t old. Sixty is the new 40."... “Sixty is 60. Forty is 40. That’s why they’re different (expletive) numbers!”

But overall I understand yes... Medically we have come a long way... in the 1800s.. If you were 60.. you probably were about to tip over any second..