The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default How to make dubbing look buggier?

Hey, I have some fine dubbing and I simply twist it onto the thread to dub woolly bugger bodies.

I saw some patterns with really great looking dubbing and am wondering how I get that? I have a velcro brush, but maybe I need the non-fine dubbing instead?

I like stuff like this:

Swimming Flies - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Wet Flies - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Thanks,
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: How to make dubbing look buggier?

awesome possum is the buggiest dubbing i know of.
it has lots of guard hairs which are stiff and create the buggy look.
Other alternative is a hares mask dyed in different colors which also has a lot of guard hairs
Superfine dubbing is exactly that, superfine to create smooth bodies on dry flies.

also, how you dub the stiffer hairs can be a factor
If you do stiff hairs in split thread, dont twist it and wind it like a hackle you get a nice buggy look too

one more thing , once the body is wrapped, pick it out with a dubbing needle.
mcnerney, jaybo41, ted4887 and 1 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You could spin in in a dubbing loop and then trim it to the desired effect you like or use wool in a dubbing loop too. The wool absorbs water so it will also help in sinking the fly without having to add too much weight. Once you trim it pick it out or hit it with a brush. I like using squirrel or hare's Mask as Eunan has said.
mcnerney, Guest1 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

S font pretty much nailed everything I would have said.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I really like this dubbing:

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/produ...oducts_id=1572

...for Buggers...

Click the image to open in full size.

It was developed by J. Fair and this guy for his Seal Bugger:

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/flys.asp

I use velcro, a stiff toothbrush, .40 cal. bore brush or a dubbing needle to fuzz it out...

PT/TB
mcnerney likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 11-28-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

that stuff looks the bees knees.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

use fur that contains guard hairs like hare ear, possum, squirrels etc

and bookmark this. its quite long but its the best thing on the web about dubbing

UKFlyDressing - Dubbing Techniques
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'm very much in agreement with what has been said already, just want to add that IMO, most synthetic dubbing lack that buggy appearance, particularly those with fine fibers as all the fibers will often have the same texture. Buggy, comes from a variety of textures all combined together.

My preference has been & always will be for natural furs & hairs that have a good number of guard hairs when I want buggy. Although mixing natural & synthetic fibers can create some outstanding effects too.

My all time favorite dubbing material is rabbit, but I also like to add other materials to it such as squirrel, opossum (both Amercian & Aussie) Muskrat, Beaver & otter.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all posters. Only thing to add is that leech yarn works pretty nicely on buggers.

Like the others have said, it's those stiff guard hairs you're really looking for. Natural fibers and or natural fibers with a touch of synthetic UV sensitive dubbing mixed in sure does make a nice looking buggy nymph. I'm a believer in the UV materials, but there are also times that selective fish want something more natural looking.

Senyo's Laser Dubbing is really great dubbing too.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Like others have said- dubbing with guard hairs. Rabbit dubbing if you get the right type has guard hairs in it (which can be annoying under certain situations) and as said you can tease it out.

I also like awesome possum. Buggy, yet it dubs really fine if you want it to. One that has not been mentioned is hare tron dubbing. It is VERY buggy.

Just so you can see what it is:

Hare-Tron Dubbin

I tied this caddis pupa with a teased rabbit body so a few strands would come through the tubing. The collar in front of the thorax of peacock herl is hare-tron dubbing which has not been teased at all. It's good stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and s fontinalis like this.