The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:13 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone Use Rain-X for Dry Fly Solution

Why wait till spring? fill up the sink and try it out.
noreaster likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
Why wait till spring? fill up the sink and try it out.
I have some somewhere, i'll try to find it and
see what happens
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I know it's a radical thought, and also involves a very flammable material,
but I just wonder how "Starting Fluid" / Ether would work.
If anyone is smoking streamside, Stand---the--heck--by!

It seems it would be a powerful evaporant, and odorless also.
This of course, for a watered down Dry Fly. It is a very fast Evaporant, if you've ever tired to Shoot it into the carburator, and then run inside your vehicle to start it.

Also, for the question as to "Rain-X" the orange colored Windshield Wiper Fluid, I wonder if it is used as a Wet Solution, and applied streamside, if it might or might not have an odor that would repel fish?

Perhaps used at the tying bench, as a kind of permanent Silicone Repellant, it might have some benefit, given time for any odors to evaporate, leaving a silicone coating.

For myself, I was also thinking of using Scotch-Guard at the tying bench, as a means of coating a Wool Dry in specific, and other Dries generally.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ether idea?

As Baseman1 indicated, I am going to be trying out some of these in a bucket of water, dropping some "treated" flies into it.

Hardyreels, baseman1 and noreaster like this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 12-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
For myself, I was also thinking of using Scotch-Guard at the tying bench, as a means of coating a Wool Dry in specific, and other Dries generally.
I know it would work on wool. It was meant for materials like wool and cotton. I know it works really well on deer hair, and wool is also a hair so in reality it being meant for fabrics like wool, I would bet it works better for that than the deer hair.
noreaster likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick to Tiemco's Dry Magic. Perfect size applicator to carry on the stream, a little goes a long way and I don't end up with residue to wipe on my waders or jacket.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT conducted by noted Scientist Dr. Duperlater / Rain-X Orange Window Washing Fluid #1

08:45 Hours 4 December 2012. Location, my fly tying bench

(a) Have 2 each 16 oz drinking glasses with Room Temperature Water.

(b) Have 2 identical "Griffith Gnat" dry flies, tied over 30 days ago,
one is untreated, but the 2nd is soaked in Rain-X for one minute and swirled around vigorously so that it will absorb the Solution. The Rain-X treated dry fly has been dried out overnight on a rack.

As indicated, at 0845 hours I drop one fly each into a large glass full of the same temperature of tap water from an approximate 6" heighth.

Observations. Untreated Fly has hook point pointing down into the water.

Rain-X treated fly, has hackles so buoyant, that the hook point is pointing vertical, out of the water and above the surface film.

1430 Hours of 4 December 2012, (Six Hours Later) the undisturbed flies show the following change. The untreated fly is half submerged in the surface film, with the hook point even with the surface film, one side of the fly submerged, the other half above the surface film still.

The Rain-X treated fly is the same, with the hook point entirely above the level of the surface film.

No fish have taken either fly yet.

(Next report due per later)

Last edited by brucerducer; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT conducted by noted Scientist Dr. Duperlater / Rain-X Orange Window Washing Fluid #1

08:45 Hours 4 December 2012. Location, my fly tying bench

one is untreated, but the 2nd is soaked in Rain-X for one minute and swirled around vigorously so that it will absorb the Solution. The Rain-X treated dry fly has been dried out overnight on a rack.

As indicated, at 0845 hours I drop one fly each into a large glass full of the same temperature of tap water from an approximate 6" heighth.

Observations. Untreated Fly has hook point pointing down into the water.

Rain-X treated fly, has hackes so buoyant, that the hook point is pointing vertical, out of the water and above the surface film.

1430 Hours of 4 December 2012, (Six Hours Later) the undisturbed flies show the following change. The untreated fly is half submerged in the surface film, with the hook point even with the surface film, one side of the fly submerged, the other half above the surface film still.

The Rain-X treated fly is the same, with the hook point entirely above the level of the surface film.

No fish have taken either fly yet.

(Next report due per later)
Awesome. Thanks for doing this. I looked for my bottle but couldn't find it. The rain x is looking pretty good so far
Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 AM

EXPERIMENT w/ Rain-X treated fly.

At midnight of 4 December 2012, both flies are sitting as before in surface film, no change in position in surface film at all.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31 AM

Experiment with Rain-X #1, update as of 0600 hours, 5 December 2012, about 22 hours after the initial immersion of 2 dry flies into a large water glass.

By 0600, both flies were sitting absolutely unchanged, above the surface film.

The Fly treated with Rain-X and dried however, still has the hook pointed vertically up in the air, entirely out of the water.

OBSERVATION: Due to the buoyancy of the Saddle Hackles, or my method of tying, which may have trapped an air bubble inside the Peacock Herl, neither fly is sinking or changing its position in the surface film.

ACTION: Jiggle both glasses equally to disurb the surface film.

OBSERVATION: The untreated fly drops below the surface film, but does not sink. The hook point is down, the hook eye poking just into the top surface film.

The Rain-X treated Griffith's Gnat however, is unchanged. It did not sink below the surface film. Moreover the Hook is still Lying "on---its---back" with the hook poining up, and entirely above the surface film.

CONCLUSIONS:

The experiment is regarded as complete.

The Rain-X treated fly demonstrates clearly, that it imparts a significantly greater buoyancy to a Dry Fly and so much so, that the Fly tends to ride above the surface film for a much greater length of time than an untreated Dry Fly.

Worth knowing. NEXT.... another Scientific Experiment on treating a Dry Fly with Scotch Guard.

Hardyreels and noreaster like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM

This experiment is overdue, but it was "due---per---later" so here it is:

SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT conducted by noted Scientist Dr. Duperlater /SCOTCHGARD on two identical Dry Flies.

08:45 Hours 6 December 2012. Location, my fly tying bench

one is untreated, but the 2nd is sprayed with Scotchgard. The treaded reated dry fly has been dried out overnight on a rack.

Observations. Both Flies sit at 45 degree angle in the water.

Observed 24 hours later, both flies remain above the surface film.

36 hours later, the flies are still above the surface film, but the Scotchgard treated Dry Fly is now sitting Hook Point down in the water.

ACTION: Jiggle both glasses equally to disurb the surface film.

I give the untreated fly water glass 6 "swishes" with my index finger.

OBSERVATION: The untreated fly drops below the surface film and sinks immediately all the way to the bottom of the glass.

The Schotchgard treated Griffith's Gnat did not drop below the surface film with the same number (6) "swishes" of my finger. Only when I most vigorously added 3 more swishes, did the Scotchgard treated dry fly change in status. It dropped just below the surface film, but remained just barely submerged in the surface film.

CONCLUSIONS:

The experiment is regarded as complete.

The Scotchgard treated fly showed far greater buoyancy than the untreated fly. Even when soaked, the Scotchgard treated fly was still buoyant just under the surface, not sinking to the bottom as did the untreated fly.

Worth knowing.

NEXT.... another Scientific Experiment on treating a Dry Fly with Unscented Hairspray.