The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Anyone Use Rain-X for Dry Fly Solution

Excellent follow through Bruce!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

I have begun testing with Unscented Hairspray, but my wife indicates it is not going to work anyway, because Hairspray dissolves in water in the first place.

Still, I will offer any results.

On another note, Starting Fluid / Ether seems Ill Advised for Three reasons.

(a) Flammable (just plain dangerous...all it takes is a moment of carelessness)

(b) Starting Fluid is an Eye Irritant one gust of wind or an inadvertant squirt, and we could be in serious trouble, and unable to drive ourselves to a hospital even.

(c) Starting Fluid can irritate the skin. So it wouldn't be fun to feel miserable at some stream or lake.

Not a mistake to think of things, but definitely a mistake to fail follow common sense about such things. Better to encase the fly in a Sandwich Size Zip-Loc Bag and cast it, than do something really foolish. If there is anything history shows, people do make mistakes and we just don't know why.

Anyway, that may have exhausted the chemical alternatives for efficient floating of Dry Flies, in addition to the normal commercial products

Now, as to Mechanical means of permanently floating a Dry Fly, There is a New book out about how to use a "bubble" on the Dry.

"Unsinkable Dry Flies" by David H. Cowardin: 9781441409881

This author discovered using a small piece of shrink wrap tubing, I guess the kind used for Electrical or Electronic wiring, to serve as a permanent "bubble" beneath his dubbing. It's an interesting idea, especially for larger Dry Flies I might try something like that. I would probably use something like the "Sip-Stir" straws that can be bought at the grocery store in White or Black. They are the plastic straws used to stir coffees etc.

These are also the item which, when cut to 1" or a little longer, make an excellent tool for tying the Nail Knot.

Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by brucerducer; 12-09-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Unscented Hairspray:

Same experiment as before, two Griffith Gnats, in water glasses for 24 hours. No Sinking.

When I swished my finger in the water equally, neither fly Sank, but both rested below Surface Film

CONCLUSION:

Hairspray, of even the "Extreme Hold" classification, probably dissolves completely in Water and is useless, except for spraying live houseflies that bother you in the house, and it works good for that, especially when you like, trap them up against a window.

Hardyreels likes this.