The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Anyone Use Rain-X for Dry Fly Solution

I dropped in to the local fly tying club here in Charlottetown last week. The group is pretty hard core; salmon fly tattoos and everything. We got talking about dry fly solution, and they all seemed to agree that Rain-X, the stuff for repelling water from your car windshield, works great as a fly floatant. Just get a sealed little bottle drop in fly and shake, remove fly and let dry. I was intrigued at the idea and am looking forward to trying it out. Anyone else every stumble across this 2 dollar tip?

Cheers
phil
brucerducer and schooner36 like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Use Rain-X for Dry Fly Solution

I suggest this on FAOL but someone said they tried it and it didn't work. I have never used it myself. Give it a try and let us know.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wouldn't be surprised if the ingredients of the Rain X and Watershed didn't share alot of similarities.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Ingredients in Rain-X

Ethanol
The active ingredients in Rain-X work only if applied to a clean, dry surface. Lucky, then, that all of the ingredients are dissolved in ethanol. Not only is it a really good solvent, it helps remove dirt and oil from the glass, then evaporates.

Isopropanol
Rubbing alcohol. Some poor souls will try anything to get drunk, so to keep them from chugging ethanol-rich Rain-X, the company adds this stuff — it shares a few chemical properties with its cocktail-friendly cousin, but it’s an unpalatable poison. Mixologize with Rain-X and you’ll end up way under the weather.

Polydimethylsiloxanes (PDMS)
A chain of repeating molecular subunits — two organic methyl groups attached to inorganic silicon-oxygen — forms a thin layer on the windshield, and the methyl groups provide low surface tension, which actively repels high-surface-tension fluids like water.

Ethyl sulfate
During production, the Rain-X gods add sulfuric acid to the mix (for reasons we’ll explain later). By the time it reaches your auto-parts store, some of it has mixed with ethanol and converted to this byproduct, also found in the urine of alcoholics.

Chlorotrimethylsilane
Residue from PDMS synthesis, this compound is regularly used to silanize — that is, chemically neutralize — laboratory glassware so organics won’t stick. Same for your windshield, too? A Rain-X chemist told us he couldn’t say for sure.

Siloxanes and silicones, di-me, hydroxy-terminated
Fragments of PDMS, broken down by that sulfuric acid we mentioned. The hydroxyl groups help them bond strongly to glass, making it tougher for your wipers to disperse the Rain-X.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

First, thanks to itchmesir for the detailed drill-down on Rain-X... LOVE IT!!

Similarly in the past people have asked this question about Scotchcgard (as a waterproofer for flies) and it's not much different.

The only two universal substances and rules I know are the following:

If it sticks, and it's not supposed to... apply WD-40
If it doesn't stick, and it's supposed to... apply Duct Tape
FISHN50, lthrnk03 and itchmesir like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the scotch gaurd on all of my deer hair flies like Dahlbergs, bombers etc. It does work and very noticably so. Never tried the other stuff.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I may have been the one on FAOL who said it didn't work well because it just didn't work well for me. I've had better results with the cheap SA floatant, which isn't the greatest either, but better than RainX.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I stick to mucilin and loon dust for CDC.. more often than not though i'll skip the mucilin and just shake and blow my flies to dry them off and they'll float fine until another trout takes it down.. couple quick false cast snaps will ring out a fly pretty well too when it does go down without the assistance of a trout
Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Wonder how long it's gonna take to see Albolene brought up in this thread, or making your own from wax and lighter fluid =)

And did I hear a faint voice in the back of the room cry out "Gink" ??
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Thanks for all the observations and comments. Seems the jury is out on whether it is any better or worse than other available products. Volume wise its worth it I'd say. Have to field test it in the spring.