The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Odd Question...

Or Questions rather..

So years ago I use to live in this farm house and I would go adventuring through the old barns that were down the road from me.. Well anyways I had found a well intact horse skull in one of the barns.. Back when I was at the Great Waters Expo.. one of the booths had what I thought was this really nice fly holder he had made out of what looked like wood.. but later he explained to me it was a moose jaw.. and that he used some sort of oil that brings out the "grain" of the bone which gives it that "good grain" look.. Can someone tell me what that oil is?(as I have forgotten)

Second question.. I'd love to turn this into a one of a kind tool caddy for my fly tying desk.. Is there any special drill bits I should use? I'm also guessing I'll want to take ever precaution to wear a face mask and have proper ventilation as I'll be drilling into organic material which could cause some possible serious health problems if i was to inhale any amount of bone..

If anyone has ever done anything like this I'd love to hear how you did it..

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Odd Question...

Damn, you must either have a lot of small tools, or some GARGANTUAN tools!!!

I'd start out by getting that bad boy sandblasted by an artist with very fine silica sand, and/or getting it steam cleaned... by the look of his teeth, he may have been from the UK =P

You'll likely have to build some kind of false base/bottom inside the skull so when you drill holes to store items, you can control the depth of the holes. You could plug up the eye sockets/holes and pour a resin inside it, but then it's going to get pretty heavy.

As for drilling it (when you get to that point) you'll probably need the type of drills they use for ceramic tile and you'll have to drill at slow speeds... and to avoid shattering the bone, drill small pilot holes first that you will enlarge with a second bit.

Don't have any idea on the bone oil- you might want to talk to a taxidermist or a museum curator/archivist.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
D

Don't have any idea on the bone oil- you might want to talk to a taxidermist or a museum curator/archivist.
Beat me to it. This last bit is what I was going to post up as this is a 'one shot' deal. Screw it up and how do you back up? I'd leave this one to a 'Pro.'

Fred
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Pretty sure it was Tim Holschlag's booth that had it.. Guess I'll shot him an email and find out.. For some reason I wanna say it was Neem Oil....

As for the big tools.. nah.. not big.. just would like to drill some holes to hold bobbins, scissors, whip finish tool, etc
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I'd have to guess mineral oil, as it won't go rancid like food based oils.

A ceramic or masonry bit will work best, just go slow as said above. A small diamond core bit will give clean holes if you are worried about fracture.

We soaked an elk vertebra in vinegar for a couple of days. The light acid did a decent job cleaning the bone. Steam cleaning will probably get it cleaner looking though.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is tung oil, which is used to finish fine furniture. It hardens as it dries and does not darken or spoil. But make sure you get pure tung oil since some "tung oil finish" products are not pure tung oil.

I use

itchmesir likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I was thinking either tung or teak oil.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

It is an unusual item, I'd leave it as it is.
Guest1, fredaevans and wt bash like this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
My guess is tung oil, which is used to finish fine furniture. It hardens as it dries and does not darken or spoil. But make sure you get pure tung oil since some "tung oil finish" products are not pure tung oil.

I use

Thank you! That is it
Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
It is an unusual item, I'd leave it as it is.
I may actually just leave it alone.. maybe use the tung oil to give it a nicer finish.. but in the end not turn it into a tool caddy.. more so out of laziness.. and like ya'll have said.. it's cool...

His teeth do look a little janky.. Is there anything I can do to clean them without possibly having them fall out? they seem rather fragile in their position. ie: they shake around.. don't want them to fall out of the sockets... If anything.. I'll leave them alone and I'll just call him Reginald
imxer likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Before you decide what to do, you can test the tung oil on the underside/inside of the skull where it would not be visible. If you like the look, you can do the entire skull or leave it alone if not.
fredaevans and itchmesir like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy