The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By noreaster
  • 2 Post By gt05254

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Anyone recognize these old books?

Thought I would take a walk down memory lane. These were the books I used and learned from growing up, plus a course from community school during the off season when I was 14 and 15. Anyone else have any of these?

The Fly Tier's manual is a nice book. The Expert Fly Tier was a good how to book

Click the image to open in full size.

Fly Tier's Manual

The Expert...

cheers
Phil
Hardyreels, kelkay and itchmesir like this.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone recognize these old books?

Cool. I started out with two of the four you listed 35 years ago. ouch. 35 years feels like the blink of an eye. oh well.
Gary
s fontinalis and noreaster like this.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Walk down 'Memory Lane.' Have three out of the four.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

The only book i remember seeing at home when i started tying (20 years ago) was John Veniard "500 Salmon Flies"
I never tied a fly from a book until I was 32 (last year - a classic salmon fly book)
all my flies when i was young were tied from patterns i either had or saw in a magazine.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

I have the two in the middle, vertically
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I tied a few from the one on the far right when I was 12 or so
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I actually have The Fly Tiers Manual. It's been very helpful even though I've only been tying for a couple of years! Found it used at my local fly shop for just a few bucks!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a copy of The Fly Tying Guide (by Dick Stewart I think) i've tied a lot of patterns from books and settled on the ones I like at this point.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I have 3 of them... I hope that doesn't qualify me as a member of the "elderly" group!