The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Blender for making Dubbing

Okay, so I followed the popular recommendation of buying a Used Blender
(for $5.00) at the thrift store, and that old clunker outlived its usefulness in 15 minutes until it overheated.

So you know it, I got the House Blender from Upstairs.

This works, and I think the better way is to cut up material with Scissors first?

Also, to use small amounts of Material to be Blended?

I saw online there are blenders in the range from $59.00 range to $95.00 range and right on up to around $400.00

One, the Waring Professional Bar Blender sells for #$92.99 and boasts a 390 Watt motor.

I really wouldn't want to spend more, but in the last 2 weeks, I have collected lots of Material to dissolve into Dubbing.

It's odd, but once one finds a sweater or other piece of clothing of the right color, that's like about, 2 or 3 Lifetimes worth of Dubbing Material for one Fisherman.

So far, my wife says I have committed sacrilege for destroying:

(a) 1 stuffed Lion the size of a Chihuahua

(b) 1 stuffed Moose the size of a Cocker Spaniel

(They both had nice long fibers in Dark Brown and Tan

It's like sacrilegious to destroy a little stuffed animal or something.

I've got a Black Hat and a Creamish-White Hat of some synthetic
and one huge Grey with Mottled-Pink Sweater of synthetic that is almost indistinguishable from Wool.

Can I get by with a low end household blender? I've got a Black & Decker.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Blender for making Dubbing

I"m going today to buy a blender for my Lady Caroline dubbing blend.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I blend most dubbing by hand, but here's a method I've seen & looks like it's much better than the grinder/blender method since you don't have to worry about the mechanism crapping out on you.

brucerducer likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:24 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

i saw something like that before also, but it doens't work for strands of wool. first you need to separate the stands, and by hand that is long drawn out process.
brucerducer likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got an old cheapie coffee grinder that I use when blending but find it to be more of a pain in the butt since the dubbing sticks to the sides of it and you have to get your hand in there to scrape it out. The only time I like this is if I have fibers that are much longer and need to get cut. You have to be careful here not to over grind. Dubbing that has been cut too much is pretty much useless.

If I am blending these days, I just pull out what i need and mix it by hand and check it out on the table. The video looks promising, I might have to give that a shot. Thanks for posting it.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have been using this same blender since 1975:

Click the image to open in full size.

...a few taps on the top does it. For long fibers, chop them up before adding to the blender. Or, try this method from Charlie Craven and demonstrated by "The Hopper Juan":

One does not need a fish bowl or trash can to do the mixing...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I prefer air to blender, grinders or mini food processors. I mix mine like the guy in Jim's posted video or use the air compressor in the garage.

brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some of the best body dubbing material I ever had (and still have some) was various shades of Australian Opossum that was a gift from Ray Davies. Ray used a blender to concoct his materials and was somewhat famous in the Corning to Rosco NY area. I don't know what his secrets were but the dubbing is outta this world.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Blender for making Dubbing

Take a coffee can. Poke a hole in the plastic top. Stick a straw through.
Throw your dubbing to be blended in it. (and close the cover )
Put your lips together and blow
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Take a coffee can. Poke a hole in the plastic top. Stick a straw through.
Throw your dubbing to be blended in it. (and close the cover )
Put your lips together and blow
Cheap as chips
brucerducer likes this.

Addicted To Vise