The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road
Default To tie or not to tie?

I am a beginner fly fisherman. Of course I have been going through quite a few flies. I was wondering if it was worth tying my own flies or just continue to buy them? I'm not an entomologist by any means. I barely know how to cast still. Is it worth the headache of learning all that is involved in tying flies right now or should I just concentrate on getting better at fishing than the actual flies for now?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: To tie or not to tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I am a beginner fly fisherman. Of course I have been going through quite a few flies. I was wondering if it was worth tying my own flies or just continue to buy them? I'm not an entomologist by any means. I barely know how to cast still. Is it worth the headache of learning all that is involved in tying flies right now or should I just concentrate on getting better at fishing than the actual flies for now?

Thanks in advance!
First off, welcome!

I recommend any serious fly fisherman to learn how to tie. Absolutely. It will eventually make you a better angler, and it is quite a pleasurable past time.

But if you are just learning to fly fish, you probably should not overwhelm yourself with info, which can be very easy to do.

There are many great fly tyers on this forum, and piles of fishing knowledge. Ask away!
mcnerney and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Overwhelming of information is right! I always knew fly fishing was out there but I was never introduced to it at a young age so I didn't get involved with it until last year. I decided to see what it was all about and got a cheap $60 combo and fished the Big Thompson in Estes Park. I ended up actually catching a few fish and that was it, I was hooked (pun intended). I have been reading asking questions and practicing ( I think my wife thinks I'm going crazy) every chance I get. This is a remarkable sport to get involved with. I am getting a new rod and reel for xmas (wife thinks I don't know) so I can't wait to do some more winter fishing. I just never have a clue what I should be using or if I only use 1, 2 or 3 flies for a specific river or stream. I fished the Arkansas this weekend and we caught two minnow sized rainbows but I just felt I was maybe missing on what the big fish were biting on. This is a great forum so far and I plan on reading A LOT!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about tying, go to youtube. Search for 'tying' and whatever pattern(s) of fly you use. Check a fishing report for your stream and search for folks tying those patterns. For me, watching people create the flies I fished with was facinating and my desire to learn to tie grew quickly. I quickly realized that all I needed was a recipe for a fly and the materials and I knew I could figure out how to tie it. If you watch those and don't really care, perhaps it's best to just buy flies and fish. That is the right answer for a lot of folks and there's nothing wrong with it. For me it's another part of the whole experience and I couldn't imagine not tying.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

if you are thinking of tying, take lessons!

shortens the learning curve immensely. a good instructor is well worth it. he will set you up with the basics of tools, materials, how to use them and numerous techniques.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

if you think you're gonna save money by tying your own flies, then dont start tying.
mcnerney, dean_mt, willki and 3 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I am with flytire on enrolling in a class to learn how to tie. When I started this thing, a long time ago, I taught myself how to tie before I even cast my first bug...My learning curve would have been vastly increased had I done that.

That being said, I would suggest starting with Midges because that is primarily what will been coming of in your area for the next several months...the simpler the better...hook, thread, wire and bead or some other ribbing material ( and the wifey can be eased into your NEW hobby without watching the bank account melt)...

Ck. out Pat Dorsey's site or Charlie Craven site...there are some great tiers in your neck of the woods:

Fly Fishing Colorado | Colorado Fly Fishing Guide Service | Sage Fly Fishing Schools

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

PT/TB
mcnerney, flytire and noreaster like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 12-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM

WOW! Thank you ALL so much for the feedback. I'll go watch some youtube videos and see if it's something I may want to do or not. Until then I will read up on entomology and see if I can figure out what flies I need to be using at what times of year.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

It's wonderful to catch fish on your own flies, and a great hobby in itself. If you have materials, you will never be without "that" fly you lost.

However, the last comment about saving money is a very important consideration also.

This is a great time of year to get started though! Lots of time inside because if weather, and you can replay fishing trips in your mind while you tie. It's also the time of year when almost every fly shop offers lessons. Local fly fishing clubs also offer clinics or "tie & lie" social events where you can often learn a lot.

Good luck!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
if you think you're gonna save money by tying your own flies, then dont start tying.
that was one of my first thoughts when I started getting into tying my own flies...

*looks over at fly tying desk that is now a haven for $1000+ of materials.. 20% of which he uses on a regular basis.. 30% of which is used from time to time.. and 50% which will probably never be touched*