The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Nymph Legs

Kelly,

Can you remember where you learned that tip?

I learned it from Harry Mason who recently passed. Harry was a wonderful fly tier who loved sharing his techniques and I'd like to acknowledge him here. RIP Harry.

I learned it from his Copper John tutorial at step 23.

His tying instructions are still up for those who want to visit it.

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Kelly,

Can you remember where you learned that tip?

I learned it from Harry Mason who recently passed. Harry was a wonderful fly tier who loved sharing his techniques and I'd like to acknowledge him here. RIP Harry.

I learned it from his Copper John tutorial at step 23.

His tying instructions are still up for those who want to visit it.

t r o u t f l i e s . c o m
Silver, while I pride myself on having a fairly good memory I can't recall where I learned this. It may have been from the late Shane Stalcup from his book Mayflies Top to Bottom.

Kelly.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, no doubt Harry Mason was a GOOD guy and a GREAT fly tyer.

His tutorials have some of the most valuable information on the net, talk about a guy who made some masterful SBS on patterns AND techniques! I'm hoping his Son continues to honor his memory and keeps the site alive.

I miss my friend Harry =( I miss talking to and tying with him.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Diggin it!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the SBS on this particular technique. It has been a real game changer for me. I've experimented with it this week and will try to get some shots up over the weekend. It always amazes me when I learn a new technique that can have such a profound effect on a finished fly. This certainly has been one of those.

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Kelly,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the SBS on this particular technique. It has been a real game changer for me. I've experimented with it this week and will try to get some shots up over the weekend. It always amazes me when I learn a new technique that can have such a profound effect on a finished fly. This certainly has been one of those.

Thanks again!
My pleasure. Looking forward to your pics.

Kelly.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Dear Kelly,

That is a really extremely great explanation and you made awesome pictures. I am sure that a lot of forum members -and especially the anglers who just start tying flies- will also love this kind of threads.

THANKS A LOT FOR SHARING

THORSTEN
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Thank you you showing us your technique.
Your stuff is always among the best and much appreciated by me.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few shots of the same pattern, different sizes and colors.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a different pattern, it's actually a Two Bit, but I know I'll be using this technique next time I make a run of these ones. I did these legs without using this technique, but they didn't come out as bad as some of the others I tied. BTW, anyone who hasn't fished a Two Bit should tie some up. They are deadly.

Last edited by jaybo41; 12-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

jaybo41, those are excellent! Well done. I'm glad I could share something useful.

For others who are trying this method for the first time, share your patterns and let others see what you've done.

I'm going to start another thread to show off some of the fish we caught just this past Saturday. Most were taken on the flashback Pheasant-tail nymph I showed at the first of this thread.

Kelly
jaybo41 likes this.