The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:46 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unique Nymph Legs

I promised i would post this info as soon as I was able. I have tied legs on my mayfly nymphs according to the following instructions for about 8 years or so now. The method is easy to do and results in even and realistic looking legs in the right position on your nymph patterns. I will often tie them in this way on emerger patterns also. Hope this gives you another option as you try to tie patterns to fool the fish.

Also, if you've ever struggled with taking a clump of feather fibers or pheasant tails or such to attach them to each side of a nymph and you find you're all thumbs, and one clump is larger or longer than another, this method will really make your life easier!

I show some step-by-step photos of a fly I call KG's South Fork Special, but I've only included the step-by-step beginning with the tying in of the legs:

Use a color of hen feather that matches the fly you are tying:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the finished fly with the legs as instructed:

Here is a Pheasant-tail nymph with the same type of legs and method for tying them in:

It doesn't take long to master and turns out some beautiful flies that I believe are worth the effort, since the fish also seem to think so...

Give it a shot and good luck!

Best Fishes,

Kelly
Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Nymph Legs

Excellently done SBS.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Kelly, thanks so much for taking time to post this SBS. This is MUCH easier than what I been doing to get the legs on.

Thanks again,

jaybo
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

That's one great SBS!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

This will help me a lot. I'm pretty satisfied with my tying progress,,,EXCEPT,,the frustration of a constant method of attaching nymph legs ! A prayer is answered ! Seriously ! And it appears to be very basic and simple.

Michael
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: Thanks for taking the time to do that SBS!

Larry

Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

thank you for this.. The legs for a 20incher are done this way but could never get more than a couple barbs on each side.. now I know how to get more legs in my pattern
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

That is how I do it as well, and you did an excellent job of illustration. I like the fact that it allows you to get more than one set of legs from a feather. It is great on a copper john.

Great Job!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent SBS Kelly...and beautiful nymph toothanks for posting
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all. Whenever I'm demo tying at a fly shop or expo the "oohs, and aahs" break out every time I demo that one tip for tying in legs on nymphs and emergers.

Hope there are many who will find this helpful.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.