The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default Recycling hooks

Hey I have some flies that are either falling apart, look like **** or that I just want the hooks out of, so what are the best ways for getting the hooks clean?

Aside from using scissors, which I would rather avoid, are there other way to clean them off?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recycling hooks

I usually just use a razor blade. My personal preference are the same ones I use for shaping and trimming deer hair but they all work just fine.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

As BFA says above, a single edge razor blade. Works a treat.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

Just putting it in your vice and "shaving" the materials off?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Ive heard of people burning the old fly off. Not sure if it affects the temper on the steel but it would be quick. Just don't over heat he hook.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Don't think I would burn it off as heat is a bad thing in terms of hooks. Ever have one sap off while tightening down, the pressure generates heat and it just pops. Grab a pack of cheapo stanly knife blades and keep them handy at the vise. I recycle alot of hooks throughout the "season" start at the eye and shave it clean the rest just falls away.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I have tried cutting and burning, but it's to much work for me. So, I just throw all my old flies and rejects in a box. It's kind of fun to watch the ball of flies grow over the years.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use an E-xacto knife. Same idea as the razor blade but with a nice handle. I recycle fly hooks a lot. I have a ton of Pike here. Small Pike have teeth so sharp they have clipped flies off on me so quick and clean I barely felt the hit. They can do horrible damage to a fly in short order. I get to recycle a lot of flies.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I have tried cutting and burning, but it's to much work for me. So, I just throw all my old flies and rejects in a box. It's kind of fun to watch the ball of flies grow over the years.

I'm that way with cheap trout hooks. Bigger, more expensive hooks get recycled immediately.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilliams View Post
Just putting it in your vice and "shaving" the materials off?
Pretty much. The goal here is to cut the thread that is holding everything together. Once you get that going, you can start pulling materials off. The trickiest part for me is once you get to the eyes (if you have any tied on). The razor really shines there because you can get right under them and cut through that bulk of thread that holds them down.