The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Progression In Tying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There is much to be said concerning the nearly lost art of using a book. Reading and practicing take time and a level of dedication that are on the wain in todays world. Just a few years ago I would write detailed replies on threads here telling people what I had learned by trial and error when I answered a question. It didn't take long before I realized that other posters would not read what I had taken time to write but would post a U tube link that provided the fast track to instant knowledge. I hung in there for a while, but as recommendations for DVDs and video's became a standard answer to some questions I scaled down my efforts to provide answers based on what I knew.

I like books, and your computer will never get a virus from a book either.

Ard

Quote:
To him, all good things, trout as well as eternal salvation, come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean - A River Runs Through It
We are trying to mimic nature when fly tying. It too is part of the art that does not come easy. It takes time and patience.
I find some tiers are speed demons when they tie. The world's gone off and gotten itself in a big hurry .
I tie at the same pace I fish at, very slow and deliberate. My flies always turn out better this way. Plus its great therapy for getting the stink off of the day.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Progression In Tying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There is much to be said concerning the nearly lost art of using a book. Reading and practicing take time and a level of dedication that are on the wain in todays world. Just a few years ago I would write detailed replies on threads here telling people what I had learned by trial and error when I answered a question. It didn't take long before I realized that other posters would not read what I had taken time to write but would post a U tube link that provided the fast track to instant knowledge. I hung in there for a while, but as recommendations for DVDs and video's became a standard answer to some questions I scaled down my efforts to provide answers based on what I knew.

I like books, and your computer will never get a virus from a book either.

Ard
You think it's bad on the internet.. It's a sad state of affairs when high school and college classes too have turned to youtube.. When I left highschool.. I went on to college like the normal every day american dream.. finish hs.. get a degree.. didn't take me long to realize I was wasting my time.. forward a decade.. I decided.. you know what.. I should give college another shot.. half my classes showed youtube videos.. seriously? you're charging me $700/class to do something I can do for free at home??? and I left yet again.. and I use to wonder why there were so many idiots with degrees working at the restaurants I work at... and I still wonder why they complain its so "tough"
wt bash and brucerducer like this.