The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Progression In Tying...

It's so nice when you can look at an old fly you tied and clearly tell you've stepped up your game from what it once was...Last winter was when I officially started tying my own flies..

In this picture are a bunch of 20inchers.. To the left.. is what now seems more like some pregnant wasps.. while on the right are some 20inchers I tied up the other night.. clearly there has been progress and it feels good...

Click the image to open in full size.

and it helps you affirm the notion that I'm not wasting my money on my endless collection of fly tying materials
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 AM

ted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to allted4887 is a name known to all
Default Re: Progression In Tying...

You've progressed nicely. Those tails look a lot nicer on the newer ones, that's for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Body proportions have certainly improved, as have the thread heads, dubbing, and legs, though I bet those old ones caught fish too I'm working on that progression too...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Its weird how it goes both ways. I used to tie nothing but deceivers when I lived in NJ with the odd clouser thrown in, nowadays I can never get the proportions right. I tie midges down to a #28 no problem but anything over a #2 and I'm all thumbs!
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Body proportions have certainly improved, as have the thread heads, dubbing, and legs, though I bet those old ones caught fish too I'm working on that progression too...
any fly will catch fish if you toss it enough times...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i was thinking to post something like this in thread, but since you've started on i'll add to yours.
First, your flies certainly show improvement, and you're right, it is gratifying to see the work you put in at the vise pay off after an extended period.

For me, they biggest difference is in my classic flies. I started tying them exactly one year ago, on December 3 2011. I started with a Jock Scott Salmon fly.
Here it is.

Then i tried a winged wet from Ray Bergman, the Fontinalis Fin

Neither were very good as you can see.
I put in a LOT of time over the winter in Jan/Feb/March learning techniques i thought i new and perfecting them. In May, after a gift of a hook and preformed wings from a forum member, I started tying Rangeley style streamers.
This was the first one, no particular name, just a made up fly based on the wing assembly i got.

Over the past year i've continued to work at the flies, adding to my skills and trying to get everything to fall in to place.
Here are the latest flies i've tied from each area
Winged wet - A freestyle fly

Rangeley Streamer

Salmon Fly

Hopefully this post will help the new tyers see that is a marathon, not a sprint.
If you want to improve, be consistent, tie often (I try to tie at least one fly or part of one fly every night) and ask for help. Don't be bashful about posting flies, because the only way for someone to critique your fly is to see it.

My winter project this year is Dry flies....should be a fun journey.

Finally, tying should be fun! If its not, then stop; if you get frustrated tying a fly, take a break, 30 min, 2 hours, 1 day, whatever, then go back and you'll see the same fly from a different perspective.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Eunan, Did you just start watching videos online or was there a certain book you used to master your techniques?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Basically i posted the first salmon fly online it got ripped to shreds, same with the wet fly. I asked for things to improve and just tried to implement the comments i got into the flies i tied. Start with one small thing, perfect it, then move on to the next. Before long you're doing it subconsciously
There are some videos online showing techniques
Check Tightline productions on Vimeo and Davie McPhail on youtube.
As far as books go, i just use books for the patterns for flies.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM

oh i've checked out plenty of Davie's videos.. His accent can be a little tough at times for this yank.. haha

I use to be a strict advocate of just checking of videos and such online for learning how to tie.. but as I get further along I realize how much better the book is.. for one.. when I'm looking for videos I usually have a technique in mind i'm looking for.. and you get videos similar to that technique.. with the books you'll find the technique you're looking for.. but then there are 100s of pages with other techniques I'd never think of.. that's why I've strayed back to the book.. The videos still help as a good visual aid though when you cannot figure it out from the pictures and descriptions provided in the book.. and then not to mention all the informative posts on this forum and others online
Hardyreels and noreaster like this.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is much to be said concerning the nearly lost art of using a book. Reading and practicing take time and a level of dedication that are on the wain in todays world. Just a few years ago I would write detailed replies on threads here telling people what I had learned by trial and error when I answered a question. It didn't take long before I realized that other posters would not read what I had taken time to write but would post a U tube link that provided the fast track to instant knowledge. I hung in there for a while, but as recommendations for DVDs and video's became a standard answer to some questions I scaled down my efforts to provide answers based on what I knew.

I like books, and your computer will never get a virus from a book either.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;