The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Czech nymph hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
What are they biting on? The end of my line......
"Wow, where did you catch him?"

"In the lip."
theboz likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing better than a good laugh in the middle of the day! Thank you! No alcohol necessary!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You can create the same effect by using flat lead tape rather than wire. I finally found some in a fly shop but I've heard that golf pro shops stock it ... not sure why, I don't golf!
Dean, the lead tape is used to adjust the swing weight of the golf club head. You can also use the lead tape under your fly line backing to add weight to a reel.

Fred
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
the same effect can be achieved using either flat strips or round lead wire
Not really.I think that theboz is speaking about hooks that have lead casted on shank of hook and that much weight you can not ad on your nymph by traditional way of tying
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
Not really.I think that theboz is speaking about hooks that have lead casted on shank of hook and that much weight you can not ad on your nymph by traditional way of tying
yup i know what type of hook is being talked about and how much lead is REALLY on there

Click the image to open in full size.

sorry but enough wraps of lead will = the same thing (in weight)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of

Quote:

sorry but enough wraps of lead will = the same thing (in weight)
hahaha...well,it is difficult to do it and still to have enough room to make same fly
I mean you can add lot of lead on hook but shape will be totally different .
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

OK whatever, you win
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
OK whatever, you win
yiiipiii
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

This is great stuff ! But the question still is has anyone tied on these hooks and how does it look? I'm guessing real smooth and nice tapers?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have not tied with these hooks. However, I don't like them.

They lock you into a specific weight and shape. I prefer lead wire because you can use different diameters to get different amount of weight and shape for a given hook. Most tying sites tell you wind the lead around the hook and you get this shape.

There is a huge step off at each end of the lead that you need to fill in with thread. You can avoid this by starting the lead onto the hook as in the photo below. But before you complete winding all the lead on the hook, pinch each end of the lead wire to flatten it. This will thin the ends of the lead wire and you will get a nice taper just like the molded lead hook.

The flat lead does make a nice and smooth under layer for the thinner nymphs. but again you are limited to a certain thickness.

However, like the molded lead hook, you are limited to a certain thickness. Pinch winding various thickness of lead wire is a better way, IMHO
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy