The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Czech nymph hooks (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/304379-czech-nymph-hooks.html)

theboz 12-05-2012 11:50 PM

Czech nymph hooks

Has anyone used the Czech nymph hooks with the weighted body built on? Saw them on some Euro sites and they looked like they would make great shaped weighted bodies without any wire. The lead seems to be tapered perfectly by looking at the pics. Probably going to buy some anyway but just curious.

dean_mt 12-06-2012 12:08 AM

Re: Czech nymph hooks

Are they shaped like a scud, with a big hump back? I've seen the lead bodies that you can attach to hooks, but have never used either. You can create the same effect by using flat lead tape rather than wire. I finally found some in a fly shop but I've heard that golf pro shops stock it ... not sure why, I don't golf!

A swap I'm considering for the new year is a CZ style nymph, so you better get some of those hooks.

theboz 12-06-2012 12:26 AM

These bodies are attached to the hook and yes they look like scud bodies . When I get them I'll post a pic! I like that idea for a swap and I think the guys from across the pond will too!

itchmesir 12-06-2012 01:49 AM

i've seen them and shook my head... it can easily be done at a fraction of the price of the preformed bodies.. may as well just skip all the steps and just buy the fly instead

kayo 12-06-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 504553)
Are they shaped like a scud, with a big hump back? I've seen the lead bodies that you can attach to hooks, but have never used either. You can create the same effect by using flat lead tape rather than wire. I finally found some in a fly shop but I've heard that golf pro shops stock it ... not sure why, I don't golf!

A swap I'm considering for the new year is a CZ style nymph, so you better get some of those hooks.

How do fish em??:cool:

flytire 12-06-2012 05:58 AM

the same effect can be achieved using either flat strips or round lead wire

wt bash 12-06-2012 06:59 AM

There's a site called performance flies that has a pretty wicked selection of all the Euro nymph and scud hooks along with flat lead tape.

theboz 12-06-2012 10:24 AM

The hooks I'm talking about are at the Czech Nymph and Semperflie websites.

dean_mt 12-06-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayo (Post 504570)
How do fish em??:cool:

At the end of a leader, preferably deep. :D

Sorry, I don't understand your question. [poke]

theboz 12-06-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 504630)
At the end of a leader, preferably deep. :D

Sorry, I don't understand your question. [poke]

What are they biting on? The end of my line......