The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Czech nymph hooks

Has anyone used the Czech nymph hooks with the weighted body built on? Saw them on some Euro sites and they looked like they would make great shaped weighted bodies without any wire. The lead seems to be tapered perfectly by looking at the pics. Probably going to buy some anyway but just curious.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Czech nymph hooks

Are they shaped like a scud, with a big hump back? I've seen the lead bodies that you can attach to hooks, but have never used either. You can create the same effect by using flat lead tape rather than wire. I finally found some in a fly shop but I've heard that golf pro shops stock it ... not sure why, I don't golf!

A swap I'm considering for the new year is a CZ style nymph, so you better get some of those hooks.
kayo likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

These bodies are attached to the hook and yes they look like scud bodies . When I get them I'll post a pic! I like that idea for a swap and I think the guys from across the pond will too!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

i've seen them and shook my head... it can easily be done at a fraction of the price of the preformed bodies.. may as well just skip all the steps and just buy the fly instead
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Are they shaped like a scud, with a big hump back? I've seen the lead bodies that you can attach to hooks, but have never used either. You can create the same effect by using flat lead tape rather than wire. I finally found some in a fly shop but I've heard that golf pro shops stock it ... not sure why, I don't golf!

A swap I'm considering for the new year is a CZ style nymph, so you better get some of those hooks.
How do fish em??
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

the same effect can be achieved using either flat strips or round lead wire
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

There's a site called performance flies that has a pretty wicked selection of all the Euro nymph and scud hooks along with flat lead tape.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM

The hooks I'm talking about are at the Czech Nymph and Semperflie websites.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
How do fish em??
At the end of a leader, preferably deep.

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
theboz likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
At the end of a leader, preferably deep.

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
What are they biting on? The end of my line......
Rip Tide likes this.