The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Lady Caroline (Kelson)

this is my first whack at this style of fly.
Hook is a Blue Heron #3. I don't have any blind eye hooks i thought were up to the job (long and low).

Pretty happy overall, though I wish my BEP had been longer, as i ran out of hackle on the stem. this was the longest hackle i had, started at at the second turn rather than the tail and i still only got three wraps on this hook.

Made my own dubbing for the fly, from berlin wool i dyed myself, then blended. I think the colors could be darker, particularly the olive, which is something i will likely work on achieving.

Apart from the glaring hole at the head where there should be some hackle, as well as the broken mallard, i'm pretty happy.

Eunan
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono and madjoni like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 12-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lady Caroline (Kelson)

Spey-style streamers simply look like they should work on fish; sleek, sort of buggish / sort of shrimpish.

I think it looks pretty good!

BEP is what everyone uses in lieu of heron; although you can use heron in Canada; just don't get caught with it in the US. And the biggest complaint with BEP is that it's too short to hackle the longer hooks; particularly the big Dee irons.

Ard does a nice job on Spey-style flies using, I think, burnt goose (check out his Wood Series Salmon Flies thread.) I can't recall what size hooks he's used though, but I know that they're not blind eyed.

Pocono
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As guy who likes to tie spey flies, I think it looks freakin awsome. I generally tie them on Alec Jacksons, but this hook looks much better, or at least I think so. Where do you get those hooks at?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Wonder is it legal to possess heron??? Can i buy it from overseas and get it shipped in?

Dan, hooks are from here. I bought 2 sample packs to get a feel for the sizes. 20 Hooks for $21 shipped i believe was the final total.

they are sexy hooks!!
Guest1 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Wonder is it legal to possess heron???
I don't think it is. I almost had a bunch of Great Blue Heron. Technically I did have it for a bit. One flew up low over an bridge and got the windshield end to it's flight plans. I stopped and it must have died of fright because it barely had a ruffled feather. Spey hackle shot through my head in less than a second. I called the guy who ran the Wildlife section at my DNR office. I put it in the trunk and brought it to the office with all the feathers still attached. It was very tempting though.
Pocono likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Nice tie! I tied a couple for the first time as well recently, that mallard can be tricky, but my flies will fish for sure!

Great tie though, the wing case should technically end at the base of the tail but all is good

and BEP is what this pattern calls for I do believe, not heron
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
Nice tie! I tied a couple for the first time as well recently, that mallard can be tricky, but my flies will fish for sure!

Great tie though, the wing case should technically end at the base of the tail but all is good

and BEP is what this pattern calls for I do believe, not heron
Yeah, in my exuberance, i tied the wing too long!

All the patterns i've seen except one, that by Maxwell in "Fishing At Home and Abroad" (1913), call for Grey heron, Maxwell uses Red Heron. Some trivia for ya!
You have to remember, these british guys had free access to heron, and still do. BEP is a later alternative from USA when heron was outlawed.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Ah okay cool, the pattern I followed called for BEP

I can't wait until june to fling a few of these for sea run brookies and steelhead!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Don't sweat the wing man, a few casts and fish or two and its blown apart anyhow. The added length on the wing is a bonus too, the more movement on a fly like that the more appealing to fish it is.
Pocono likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I don't think it is. I almost had a bunch of Great Blue Heron. Technically I did have it for a bit. One flew up low over an bridge and got the windshield end to it's flight plans. I stopped and it must have died of fright because it barely had a ruffled feather. Spey hackle shot through my head in less than a second. I called the guy who ran the Wildlife section at my DNR office. I put it in the trunk and brought it to the office with all the feathers still attached. It was very tempting though.
Similar story; different venue.

Yes, it is illegal to possess Heron in the US.

We have a cottage on an island in Maine's Casco Bay. Almost adjacent to it; about 5 miles away, is an island that is a Blue Heron rookery. Every now and then one of the older birds passes away; and they tend to pass on this island. I had a complete, recently passed bird in my hands about 2 years ago and went through almost exactly the same thing; took it to the boat, brought it to our cottage, read the regs on no-possess for Blue Heron and returned it to the island rookery.

I'd still like to tie with Blue Heron; but it's not looking promising at this point.

Pocono