The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pheasant feather - uses?

.... I use those rump (hackle) feathers as tails on my damselfly nymphs
similar to this (not my picture)
I tie the tails in and then just wrap the fibers forward to complete the abdomen.

Click the image to open in full size.

I recently posted this link on another tying thread.

CRAB APPLE

madjoni, cowpokey and noreaster like this.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yup, I use the rump feathers for crawfish claws, since our craufish here have colorful pinchers, the body feathers can also be used as above. The rump feathers dyed olive make an excellent soft hackle carp fly, and the tail is just as usefull for nymphs AND if you feel like investing the time in it, you can knot them to make some pretty cool grasshopper legs, but its a MAJOR pain to do that

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
If you are accomplished at skinning them you can cure 2 pelts and be set for the next decade or longer.
To cure a pelt is it as simple as removing any meat and then letting the skin dry out? Or does it require something more?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I just salt it then dry it. When dry I stick it in a plastic bag and freeze it for a couple of days to kill any mites.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a streamer pattern called the Chile Pepper tied by Joe Cornwall that uses feathers from a pheasant. The Chile Pepper, An Adventures In Fly Tying Video From Fly Fish Ohio

Larry
Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
I just salt it then dry it. When dry I stick it in a plastic bag and freeze it for a couple of days to kill any mites.
Kayo,

Thanks for the response. I have more than a curious interest in this question. Was informed late yesterday evening that a relative is sending me a fresh male pheasant pelt. He knows I can use the feathers, but doesn't know how to prepare the pelt other than remove any meat and as much fat (apparently not much fat on a pheasant) as possible.

Did some searching on the Internet and found the following (Tying Materials). Based on the text:
"...You must get 95-100% of it off or it will not dry out. You can leave the thin layers of skin they will dry...." I get the impression salt isn't needed because bird pelt is very thin.

Decided to visit a local taxidermist to get his impression. He absolutely discourages using salt. He told me if all the fat and meat is removed, I don't need to do anything but dry the pelt. However, he told me if it feels slimy or slick, then coat it with borax to dry it out. He believes salt can actually be detrimental in that a salted pelt will readily pick up moisture in a humid environment and harm not only the skin, but eventually also begin to degrade the feathers. He only recommends using salt, if sending a hide out for tanning.

Also saw another site that recommended zapping pelts (only after they've been thoroughly dried) in a microwave oven for 30 seconds to kill any bugs or mites. The taxidermist I spoke to didn't think this was necessary for a pelt from a healthy pheasant.

I'm going to try the borax and see what happens.
kayo likes this.

Last edited by dakotakid; 12-10-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Scroll down this link Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - The River Knight and check out the claws on this crayfish. Also tail is pheasant.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
THAT is a cool looking fly!