The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Pheasant feather - uses? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/304759-pheasant-feather-uses.html)

turbineblade 12-09-2012 08:26 PM

Pheasant feather - uses?

Hey, I'm going hunting this winter and will have a lot of excess pheasant (from pheasant hunting) -- are there uses for PT other than the PT nymph (tail) portion? I'm pretty new to tying, so go easy if this is a stupid question :eek:.

If so, any tips on which parts are used to do what would be awesome!

Thanks!

noreaster 12-09-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Pheasant feather - uses?

Almost every feather from a pheasant can be used. There must be good soft hackle feathers. The tips that are used in coachman, forget what they are called. Especially the males. All the iridescent stuff around his head and neck.
I am sure others will chime in who know specifically but I would venture a guess that there are many many uses for pheasant especially the male.

cheers
phil

williamhj 12-09-2012 09:06 PM

Here's a site that will give you some good information on uses for pheasant feathers. I've used feathers from pheasant necks for feather inlays on rods too.

Hardyreels 12-09-2012 09:45 PM

I like the hackles for some trout / steelhead / char flies, back in Pennsylvania I made wet flies with the same feathers seen below.

All hackled with Pheasant rump feathers,

Ard

gatortransplant 12-09-2012 10:10 PM

Ard that pheasant rump looks like some excellent soft hackle material! I love soft hackles... I also love variations of the venerable pheasant tail nymph pattern... so as I see it, you can never have enough pheasant feathers!

Hardyreels 12-09-2012 10:37 PM

While they are versatile they also have their limits. The length of the individual fibers on most feathers dictate the size uses for them. For small wets, nymphs and flymphs they are about perfect. You can use slip sections from the center tail feathers for winging also.

Since this was started in reference to harvesting birds and their feathers I would say that the rump and flank feathers from 1 cock bird and 1 hen will go a very long ways. If you are accomplished at skinning them you can cure 2 pelts and be set for the next decade or longer.

cowpokey 12-10-2012 04:55 AM

Pheasant tail fibers are great for nymph legs and tails. The shear variety of feathers you can get from one bird is pretty amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 505680)
Here's a site that will give you some good information on uses for pheasant feathers. I've used feathers from pheasant necks for feather inlays on rods too.

Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

noreaster 12-10-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 505685)
I like the hackles for some trout / steelhead / char flies, back in Pennsylvania I made wet flies with the same feathers seen below.

All hackled with Pheasant rump feathers,

I like those patterns Ard. They look like they would produce sea run brookies I fish. The pheasant givees a real natural look I like.
Ard

Liphookedau 12-10-2012 06:28 AM

The other guys beat me to it,Pheasant Feathers are a must have & as stated are probably one of The Best,versatile & most used Feathers in anyones Kit.
As usual Ard has once again shown us his Beaut,well Tied Flies.
Brian

turbineblade 12-10-2012 06:43 AM

Wow - I had no idea :). I love eating pheasant, but this will possibly supply an other good use of the animal. Well, whatever is spared from damage by shotgun pellets anyway :eek:.

Thanks -- this is helpful.