The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Pheasant feather - uses?

Hey, I'm going hunting this winter and will have a lot of excess pheasant (from pheasant hunting) -- are there uses for PT other than the PT nymph (tail) portion? I'm pretty new to tying, so go easy if this is a stupid question .

If so, any tips on which parts are used to do what would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Pheasant feather - uses?

Almost every feather from a pheasant can be used. There must be good soft hackle feathers. The tips that are used in coachman, forget what they are called. Especially the males. All the iridescent stuff around his head and neck.
I am sure others will chime in who know specifically but I would venture a guess that there are many many uses for pheasant especially the male.

cheers
phil
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a site that will give you some good information on uses for pheasant feathers. I've used feathers from pheasant necks for feather inlays on rods too.
kayo, cowpokey and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like the hackles for some trout / steelhead / char flies, back in Pennsylvania I made wet flies with the same feathers seen below.

Click the image to open in full size.

All hackled with Pheasant rump feathers,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ard that pheasant rump looks like some excellent soft hackle material! I love soft hackles... I also love variations of the venerable pheasant tail nymph pattern... so as I see it, you can never have enough pheasant feathers!
mcnerney and noreaster like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

While they are versatile they also have their limits. The length of the individual fibers on most feathers dictate the size uses for them. For small wets, nymphs and flymphs they are about perfect. You can use slip sections from the center tail feathers for winging also.

Since this was started in reference to harvesting birds and their feathers I would say that the rump and flank feathers from 1 cock bird and 1 hen will go a very long ways. If you are accomplished at skinning them you can cure 2 pelts and be set for the next decade or longer.
gatortransplant likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Pheasant tail fibers are great for nymph legs and tails. The shear variety of feathers you can get from one bird is pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Here's a site that will give you some good information on uses for pheasant feathers. I've used feathers from pheasant necks for feather inlays on rods too.
Thanks for the link.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I like the hackles for some trout / steelhead / char flies, back in Pennsylvania I made wet flies with the same feathers seen below.

All hackled with Pheasant rump feathers,
I like those patterns Ard. They look like they would produce sea run brookies I fish. The pheasant givees a real natural look I like.
Ard
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

The other guys beat me to it,Pheasant Feathers are a must have & as stated are probably one of The Best,versatile & most used Feathers in anyones Kit.
As usual Ard has once again shown us his Beaut,well Tied Flies.
Brian
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Wow - I had no idea . I love eating pheasant, but this will possibly supply an other good use of the animal. Well, whatever is spared from damage by shotgun pellets anyway .

Thanks -- this is helpful.