The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Floodtide 2/0

So, Dec 3 2011, i tied my first salmon fly, a gawd awful JS on a 3/0 Alec Jackson.
Over the last year I've learned quite a bit, but still have a ways to go to reach the promised land of consistently good flies.

I guess the greatest advancement had been in my proportions - tag, tail, body, ribs, sides wings etc, but achieving consistency is my continuing goal.

Here's a Floodtide, my anniversary fly, on a 2/0 reworked (not by me) Sunday Limerick.
Far from perfect. Though i do like the short tag.
I think the tail is good, and i'm also pretty happy with the underwing in that i got it to stay visible. The JC actually arey under the GP swords!!
I made the main wing a little more shallow than i usually do.
Topping is ok. Marabou hackle, perhaps too long, but was all i had.
Throat could be fuller, but the is the recommended two turns.

Head, wouldnt look out of place on medusa..Ugly as all hell. I always fear running out of space at the front, but find that when i leave more space than necessary, i end up concentrating my wraps in a small area, which is what i should be doing at a normal head space.

Anyways.
Its been a great year. I started with salmon flies, moved to winged wets and rangeley streamers, then back to salmon flies. I've seen immense progress in all my tying.

Hope you guys like it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and la_jolla1 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Floodtide 2/0

Wow, this very well may be my favorite of the classic salmon flies I've seen you tie. What a beauty! The marabou really takes the pattern over the top, I love it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...