The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM

chrisgonzle is on a distinguished road
Default Magnifying Lamp or Headband Magnifier?

Hi
I am new here and looking for your thoughts on whether to get a magnifying lamp and something like and Optivisor magnifier.
I definitely need something to make the tying process at least a little bit easier

Any thoughts?
Thanks Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Magnifying Lamp or Headband Magnifier?

I use "cheater" reading glasses.
I wear them right over my bifocals, a trick that I learned from Jack Gartside
Guest1 and jaybo41 like this.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

I seem to only be able to use the headband magnifiers. They allow me to move my head and see things other than the fly, like when I use a bobbin threader or try to peel a certain number of fibers off a feather. I tried a big old magnifier but it didn't work well for me.

This is what I use and they are great: Head Strap Magnifier With Work Light

They have a 3x clip on magnifier, too: 3x Clip-On Magnifiers
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will take the time to look though our many Sub Forums (just click 'Forums' on the menu bar above) where you can find about any subject you could think of being discussed.

About your question; I've been using a Jewelers Lamp since before I really needed one. Most are equipped with a 4" 3.5 X magnifier lens. The fact that there is a light under the head that puts the beam right where I need it was the deciding factor for me. The one pictured below was purchased at a Home Depot store for 29.99.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use a 40 watt spot light type bulb in mine and it works for both tying and photographing flies at the vise. It also lights the bench top so that all materials are easy to spot while working. When I lived down east I found the lamps handy when tying dries or nymphs down to size 20 or smaller. The magnifier made it possible to get great detail on even the smallest of dries.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I went with the magnifying lamp. It can be plugged in or runs on aaa batteries, has a magnetic base and a clamp on base as well. Tying small flies and wearing 3x reading glasses bothered my eyes too much. Wearing 1.75x reading glasses and using the magnifier doesn't bother my eyes like wearing the really strong reading glasses. I don't remember if the magnifier is 3x or 5x. Kind of pricey but worth it in my opinion. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264. Check it out, it's on sale. I paid more for mine.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM

schrob is on a distinguished road

I use both and will say the lamp mag is more comfortable to use. You can sit upright in your chair and adjust the lamp mag to be in focus with your comfortable tying position. With the Headband YOU have to move your head to be in focus which may not be the most comfortable position. I got the headband with 3 different lenses which had a stronger magnifier and is something I am starting to need more of the older I get.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. +1 on Rip's comment, I wear cheaters when I really need to get details on wraps. I don't wear glasses (yet) and haven't found a need for a magnifier yet. I'm sure it would help, but good lighting and the cheaters have been working well for me.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 AM

Wow, thanks for such a great load of responses guys!
I did a bit of Googling and found this site to have some good info on >> magnifying lamp reviews and a little bit on Optivisors, too.

I like the look of the LED lamps, the ones that come with a clamp look pretty cool, as you can just clamp them down and get to work!
Anyways, thanks for your great help!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:06 AM

I ended up getting a magnifying lamp from ProMagnify.

Not cheap, but certainly worth it - it's got 90 ultra bright LEDs in it, so I get crystal clear magnification for all of my tying activities.

This site helped in making the final decision. If you're on the fence about getting one, I'd certainly recommend it. Get the best one you can afford and never look back.

No more fumbling with tricky flies!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I also use a Magnifying Lamp & find it easier on The Eyes & you haven't anything hanging around your forehead.
Brian