Magnifying Lamp or Headband Magnifier?

chrisgonzle

Reaction score
Hi
I am new here and looking for your thoughts on whether to get a magnifying lamp and something like and Optivisor magnifier.
I definitely need something to make the tying process at least a little bit easier

;)

Any thoughts?
Thanks Chris

Reactions: Ard

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use "cheater" reading glasses.
I wear them right over my bifocals, a trick that I learned from Jack Gartside :D

busbus

Reaction score
I seem to only be able to use the headband magnifiers. They allow me to move my head and see things other than the fly, like when I use a bobbin threader or try to peel a certain number of fibers off a feather. I tried a big old magnifier but it didn't work well for me.

This is what I use and they are great: Head Strap Magnifier With Work Light

They have a 3x clip on magnifier, too: 3x Clip-On Magnifiers

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you will take the time to look though our many Sub Forums (just click 'Forums' on the menu bar above) where you can find about any subject you could think of being discussed.

About your question; I've been using a Jewelers Lamp since before I really needed one. Most are equipped with a 4" 3.5 X magnifier lens. The fact that there is a light under the head that puts the beam right where I need it was the deciding factor for me. The one pictured below was purchased at a Home Depot store for 29.99.

I use a 40 watt spot light type bulb in mine and it works for both tying and photographing flies at the vise. It also lights the bench top so that all materials are easy to spot while working. When I lived down east I found the lamps handy when tying dries or nymphs down to size 20 or smaller. The magnifier made it possible to get great detail on even the smallest of dries.

Ard

jcw355

Reaction score
I went with the magnifying lamp. It can be plugged in or runs on aaa batteries, has a magnetic base and a clamp on base as well. Tying small flies and wearing 3x reading glasses bothered my eyes too much. Wearing 1.75x reading glasses and using the magnifier doesn't bother my eyes like wearing the really strong reading glasses. I don't remember if the magnifier is 3x or 5x. Kind of pricey but worth it in my opinion. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264. Check it out, it's on sale. I paid more for mine.

schrob

Reaction score
I use both and will say the lamp mag is more comfortable to use. You can sit upright in your chair and adjust the lamp mag to be in focus with your comfortable tying position. With the Headband YOU have to move your head to be in focus which may not be the most comfortable position. I got the headband with 3 different lenses which had a stronger magnifier and is something I am starting to need more of the older I get.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. +1 on Rip's comment, I wear cheaters when I really need to get details on wraps. I don't wear glasses (yet) and haven't found a need for a magnifier yet. I'm sure it would help, but good lighting and the cheaters have been working well for me.

chrisgonzle

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for such a great load of responses guys!
I did a bit of Googling and found this site to have some good info on >> magnifying lamp reviews and a little bit on Optivisors, too.

I like the look of the LED lamps, the ones that come with a clamp look pretty cool, as you can just clamp them down and get to work!
Anyways, thanks for your great help!

chrisgonzle

Reaction score
I ended up getting a magnifying lamp from ProMagnify.

Not cheap, but certainly worth it - it's got 90 ultra bright LEDs in it, so I get crystal clear magnification for all of my tying activities.

This site helped in making the final decision. If you're on the fence about getting one, I'd certainly recommend it. Get the best one you can afford and never look back.

No more fumbling with tricky flies!

:)

L

Liphookedau

I also use a Magnifying Lamp & find it easier on The Eyes & you haven't anything hanging around your forehead.
Brian

flytire

Reaction score

i have tried the daylight brand lamp as shown above an found the magnifying glass useless as it gets in the way of tying

i'm also thinking the magnifiers for the head might be a little heavy and gets heavier after a length of tying time. if not youre kinda goofey looking :)