The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 3 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Any Suggestions?

Tonight I've been playing around a little trying to create/mimic a Tennessee Wulff/Royal Coachmen in a nymph pattern. I've tried a few different tails and wing materials, but nothing I'm particularly fond of. I like the way a few Wood Duck fibers look on the tail, but I can't get a halfway decent wing case/legs. Any thoughts on good materials or looks?

Who knows, could be fun and successful!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Suggestions?

Probably my favorite tailing material to use is Coq De Leon. Good stiff barbs with nice mottling that will hold up well for many fish. As for the wing case, I generally use turkey or PT fibers, then add some Sally Hansens for durability. I've also been playing with Thin Skin recently and really like that. Swiss Straw might be another good option.

Wood Duck does make nice tailing though, I use it on March Brown emergers.

I guess maybe another approach here is what options do you have on hand to use for tail/wing case/legs that are up for consideration? Or are you thinking of going the route of buying materials?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I use thin skin for wing cases when I'm not using PT as the tail.. If using PT as the tail.. I just wrap the PT up to where I'd place the wing case and then pull the PT over the thorax.. Turkey is another favorite of mine as well
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

pheasant tippets makes excellent tails

moose body hair is also an excellent choice for tails

schlappen hackle fibers make excellent legs

a royal coachman doesnt contain wood duck so i wouldnt use it

heres one from skip morris

Click the image to open in full size.

from the photos ive seen on the internet regarding the "tennesse wulff" which is basically a "royal wullf" tied with chartreuce/lime floss vs red floss, i would tie the nymph pattern shown above with a rib of chartreuce floss or wire.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and brucerducer like this.

Last edited by flytire; 12-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

White goose, antron, maylar, as jaybo said swiss straw. Swiss straw tied in loose creates a nice little air pocket for an emerging variation.