The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: here's what 1.5 hours at the bench looks like for me.

My uneducated guess is William Blackers Spirit Fly #2.
Guest1 likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

The Assassin. Definitely peaked my interest!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Still no winner...fly nearly done. Just have to put the topping on and finish the head!!

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
My uneducated guess is William Blackers Spirit Fly #2.
Good guess. I think the wings are to small and to 'married' for the old style but the not a hint hint? Actually the number three with a more married wing style doen't look bad as a guess either.
Click the image to open in full size.

A Carnegie has that kind of wing pattern and Wood Duck as well.
shotgunfly likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-11-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Good guess. I think the wings are to small and to 'married' for the old style but the not a hint hint? Actually the number three with a more married wing style doen't look bad as a guess either.

A Carnegie has that kind of wing pattern and Wood Duck as well.
Close, but no cigar!
The wing pattern as mentioned is modern - and can be applied to any wing.
The Carnegie has Golden pheasant tail in the wing, this one, if you look closely, has Amherst, no GP.

Processing photos now...any last stabs in the dark??

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Ok fellas. Game over. Thanks for playing along.
It seems noone got the answer which was actually quite easy if you'd looked back through the other flies I've posted recently. Some were on the right track with Kelson!

The fly is Kelson's Floodtide, a version of which i posted on Sunday.
I wasnt happy with that fly for various reasons - the head, the hook size, the hidden underwing etc etc etc.

So last night i set about making it again, as mentioned in the first post of this thread.
I did the wing, then half the body, tonight I finished the body, mounted the wing and cleaned it all up.
This fly should have been the 1 year anniversary fly!

I present, Kelson's Floodtide on a 4/0XL reworked Sunday Limerick.

Hope you like it, and if you look at the other one i posted a few days back, you'll see this one is 100 times better, and perhaps the best fly i've ever tied.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 12-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing fly. Puts anything I tie to shame Thanks for posting the picture.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Arrrrrgh! I spent hours scouring the web and here it was; Floodtide 2/0
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Son of a gun! I was going to go through your recent threads and see if I could find the answer, but forgot!

Perhaps the best fly I have seen come from you yet. Then again I don't know much about feather wings.

Very neat tie.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That there is you best yet! Everything is perfect!!! Right on Eunan!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM

hope you guys had fun with the little 'treasure hunt'
I got the idea from Laurie, he posted some flies a couple weeks ago, then one of the hackles he used from the flies and asked for the name of the hackle.
I think mine was a bit harder than his though.

Thanks for all the comments on the fly too!

Maybe i'll do it again in the future....watch this space...
shotgunfly likes this.

Addicted To Vise