The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: here's what 1.5 hours at the bench looks like for me.

As usual I am in awe of your work Eunan. Very nicely done.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Very nice. I've never seen the Floodtide with bustard or amhearst between the red and yellow like you did. The red and yellow have always butted up to each other in the ones I've seen. Your's looks great. Only thing I notice is the wing curve not matching the topping curve.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyb View Post
Very nice. I've never seen the Floodtide with bustard or amhearst between the red and yellow like you did. The red and yellow have always butted up to each other in the ones I've seen. Your's looks great. Only thing I notice is the wing curve not matching the topping curve.

Thanks again fellas.

Bradyb - The old masters tyed formed their wings like you mentioned, with solid bars. Doing it like I did gives an alternative look to the fly, which i like, but not all flies sui thise style of wing.

In terms of the topping, its common practice to have a nice cascade of the fibers like I have here. Its purely an aesthetic feature - when the flies get wet, they will collapse, and pulsate in the water.
Having the topping follow the wing shape for the full length of the wing kinda give a flat look to the fly, which again, works for some flies, but mostly you'll see folks tie them with the cascade. I'd have liked the tail to cascade too, but i didnt wanna mess with it as you can break them when all is done, runing the fly.

Addicted To Vise