The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Wet fly bodies with nylon thread?

Hi, I'm having a lot of success with smaller "partridge and orange" flies I bought from fly shack a while back. Now that I'm tying, I'm looking into tying these up because bluegill, bass, and one catfish really hit these around here . Plus, I'm a big fan of carrying flies that I can almost be sure to have a chance to catch something, no matter where I go.

I read that silk is traditional, but sucks to work with....and I *just got to where I can tie a sawyers PT nymph that looks "okay"....so I'm definitely not a good tyer. Keeping that copper wire tight to avoid abdomen and thorax shifting was my toughest part.

What type of body material would you recommend? floss? 4-strand floss? Some kind of heavy orange regular thread?

Thanks - you guys are great! I've learned more on this website in 3 months than I did in 4 years of college and everything before then. Plus, all of that information was thoroughly useless. Fly fishing is the only thing I'm interested in learned and retaining now .
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Wet fly bodies with nylon thread?

I recently did these wet flies. Cowdung (Left), Partridge and Orange (Back) Snipe and Yellow (Front)
Click the image to open in full size.

For the P&O i used rust danville flymaster+ as it was the only 'orange' thread i had. i was good for building up the bodies, but for the heads it was too thick. Just use regular flymaster (with the gold label, the "+" has a silver label)
You can definitely use thread, just untwist it as you tie to build up a nice taper to the body. They're not expensive flies to tie, so no worried if a few get all raggedy.
IF you decide to use floss, danville rayon is the way to go, either 4 strand or two strand spools, but these flies are so small (the ones above are size 12 or 14 i think) you only need to use one strand of floss from the spool.

Hope this helps.

p.s. if you like this kind of fly, you should check out EJ Malone -Trout and Salmon flies of Ireland, there is many patterns like this in it. Also Trout flies of Ireland, Trout Flies of Wales, and some other titles like that will furnish you will enough patterns to last a lifetime. All older patterns, but all very much as effective as yesteryear.
mcnerney and popperfly like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 12-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

You can even use wool yarn just split it down to a single strand. It'll get buggier fish after fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Are you making flies similar to this?
Click the image to open in full size.

If so, I believe the one in the picture has a body made with a single strand of wool yarn that I roughed up a bit. You can make a body for a wet fly out of anything basically. They do catch fish, the hook is a Mustad 80050BR size 8 I use large flies here.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Nice flies s fontinails……I have been tying a soft hackle similar to your Partridge & Orange fly.
Instead of using partridge I have been using cool-aid dyed mallard flank feathers (Dyed with Cherry color cool-aid) they have been producing some really nice browns, rainbows and brook trout for the last couple months for me. The only problem using the mallard flank feather you have to cut sections of the feather then tie them in separately in order to get the correct length per hook size.
Hook: #14 to #16
Thread: Red - Uni 8/0
Body / Thorax: Tan rabbit dubbing
Hackle: Mallard flank feather dyed light red.
Head: Whip finished with Red-Uni thread
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Awesome responses as always! Pretty flies too. I actually have orange, wool yarn (just craft store, 100% wool stuff) that I think would work fine. I'll give that a try .

Thanks! I really do appreciate your help with this --

BTW - I have flat wax nylon, 3/0, and 6/0 threads of various colors. What is "Uni" on the thread spool? What does that mean?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I always thought Uni was just a Brand name meaning single strand.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I always thought Uni was just a Brand name meaning single strand.
Ard,

I would say you’re correct, according to Uni Products this is their write-up:

8/0 UNI-Thread is the favorite fine fly-tying thread of fly –tiers all over the world. Noted for being exceedingly strong for its diameter. 8/0 UNI-Thread is made of continuous polyester filaments, slightly bonded, which ties flat on the hook and comes wax or unwaxed

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I read that silk is traditional, but sucks to work with.....
well you will never know for sure until you actually try silk thread.

buy 1 spool and dont be afraid to try somethig new in fly tying. its the only way to learn new techniques.

also try a little cobblers wax when tying the bodies with this thread. might make it easier to use.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=turbineblade;506531]Awesome responses as always! Pretty flies too. I actually have orange, wool yarn (just craft store, 100% wool stuff) that I think would work fine. I'll give that a try .

The nice thing about wool/synthetic wool is it takes color from markers well. If you have white or a light color and a set of Sharpies you can have any color you want.
Sock yarn is also a good source for long, thin continuous fibers that wind into small, nicely tapered bodies.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey