The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Koolaid dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I ordered some materials a while back and it had a somewhat "fruit like smell" to it when I opened the packaging. .... the color was blue ... Raspberry Reaction sounds like a name to describe the smell.
Kind of makes you wonder if they didn't use KoolAid to dye it and just didn't rinse it well. I can't think of any other dye that smells fruit like. All of the stuff I have done didn't seem to have a smell, but then again my nose does not work all that well. If I can smell something it is truely stinky. (Pull my finger )
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the information on dyeing with koolaid. the best thing you did was to provide the step by step.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Diver Dan:

Wow. What a fantastic tip. Who'd have thought that Kool-Aid was permanent?

I suppose it works with just about all material?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

GREAT JOB, Dan!!! Respect & Congratulations

THORSTEN
Old 12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
I suppose it works with just about all material?
It works on everything I have tried so far. The bucktail I have tried so far takes the dye a lot more slowly than feathers do. You need to run it through a second time if you do it along with feathers. I noticed in Eunan's Acid Dye thread that the bucktail he did with a bunch of feathers was about half or a third as dark so it must be the hair and not the dyes. Acid dyes work pretty well also and you might want to take a quick run through his thread as well. The only real advantage as I see it though to either method is that this is as close to free as dying gets and you can get it within blocks of most of us. That and Kool Aid doesn't come in colors like olive so you need to mix them. That's not hard to do though.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Read that one of the 'advantages' of KoolAid is if you get sloppy and dump a dish it will wash out when still wet being water soluble. Not about to test that idea, but I can see where it comes from ...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Read that one of the 'advantages' of KoolAid is if you get sloppy and dump a dish it will wash out when still wet being water soluble. Not about to test that idea, but I can see where it comes from ...
Key words being still wet. I got some on my kitchen counter a really long time ago. It was red, a color that fades better than most colors and it took forever to wear out of the counter.

I'm going to try the plastic bag and leather experiment and see how it works on rabbit. Don't microwave leather, it kills it.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 AM
Banned

Well I tried the cold method of dying the rabbit. The hair took the dye alot less well than the leather did. Interestingly, it did not kill the leather nearly as bad as it did the regular method of Koolaid Dying. I did a 1/4" wide zonker strip about 6" long and a crosscut piece about the same length. It killed about the first inch and a half of the zonker and most of the crosscut, but this is the best I have ever had leather come out in any method. I just soaked it in cold water and worked the leather and it feels fine when wet, so I'll see what it does after a good leather rinse.

I'm working on a fly right now where I have had to dye a whole lot of stuff. not all the same colors either. In doing this I realized I should have mentioned one other thing. It dyes your skin really well on contact.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

This is just great. I have been looking for colored grizzly hackle for some musky flies but don't feel like buying capes in these individual colors.

With this, I can basically buy one white/black grizzly cape and dye a handful of feathers to whatever color I want instead of needing a whole cape

As an example, I could take a dozen grizzly feathers, dye them red, and have the red/black grizzly feathers I am looking for!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:18 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Thanks Diver! You must have been the one that taught my cousin how to do this. He taught me and its awesome.

Been doing this for a couple years now and get great results. I will agree, the bass/sunfish usually eat the tails/hackles off my buggers before they even begin to fade slightly. Have yet to have anything loose any considerable amount of color.
Guest1 likes this.