The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By chased

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Rainbow Tungsten Beads...?

Has anyone used these before and seen a difference in strikes whether it be number of strikes of ferociousness? Im just curious what these beads bring to the table and why they cost so much
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rainbow Tungsten Beads...?

I have one package, but have not used them. Something tells me this is one of many items designed to catch the fisherman more so than the fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Something tells me this is one of many items designed to catch the fisherman more so than the fish.
This is where I stand as well. I haven't tried them but can't imagine them being any more productive than the standard gold, brass, silver, or black beads. Who knows...I may be missing out on tons of potential fish because I don't have a rainbow colored bead on my fly.

-Chase
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

I have bought some to make rainbow warriors with... have not tried them yet.... Ill tie some nymphs and try them in erie this winter break
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I have one package, but have not used them. Something tells me this is one of many items designed to catch the fisherman more so than the fish.
Ditto!

probably catch more fishermen
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Tungsten Cost Explained - The other side of the story. from In The Business (66.61.72.241) 5/16/2002 10:59:00 AM
By chance, do anyone of you duck hunt? If so, have you seen the cost of Tungsten shot?
Believe it or not, there is hardly any markup on any Tungsten product. I have seen many a tackle shop selling Tungsten weights for .5 cents above their cost.

As far as cost, all Tungsten comes from an China. Therefore, raw material is subject to foreign relations, whoever is in office, exchange rates, importation taxes, the limited supply of usuable grade material, etc...

Once a manufactuer has secured a significant amount of raw material, the manufacturing processes are significantly more complex than melting lead in a cast. Bascially, the cost of Tungsten products are already on the floor. Most companies use the product as a loss leader to increase traffic.

The idea is that the benefits of unparrelled sensitivity the weight adds to the line, smaller size, increased hook sets, and longevity of the product should outweigh the cost. Another often overlooked aspect of tungsten weights is that tungsten is more dense than lead. In other words, a 1/4 ounce weight, while 25% smaller than lead, is heavier in the water than a lead weight. Therefore, a 3/16 ounce tungsten weight can often be used to get the same effect as using a heavier lead weight. This is really helpful in fishing grass, and punching through thick matts.

Think of it this way, in comparision to the money you spend on a quality rod, reel, and constant respooling of quality line, the cost of a Tungsten weight is really neal (don't even try to tell me that you don't respool often...if not your opinion is void to begin with for serious T anglers).

In addition, how many hooks do you go through in a season? Another point to consider is that every top pro in the nation uses Tungsten weights, unsponsored.

Everyone is free to chose, and should do so according to thier tournament activity. When money is on the line for me, I know which weights I will be using.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't make it clear in my previous post. I use tungsten beads for tying almost exclusively. I have some brass that I use for either double beads, or singles if I am not looking for the depth the tungsten provides. Sometimes I use a few wraps of tin wire, or lead tape to the shank. Sometimes, I double up on tungsten beads for certain patterns. I find the extra bit of cost worth it because it makes for a better fly IMHO. More weight on the fly, less shot, if any, needed on my line.

What I question about rainbow or color of bead for that matter is the color itself. Does it really make a difference to the fish? This is the piece that I think MIGHT be more appealing to the buyer or tier than the fish. Though a spin fisherman might suggest "sunny silver, cloudy copper (or gold). Black is one of those colors that seems to work regardless of conditions.

I think it always comes down to this: Size, Shape, Color. If you get at least 2 of those three with a fly you're likely going to get into fish. Add to that depth, you've got to get it down when nymphing especially. I agree with your notion on tungsten dillon. Interesting story with the sourcing and background of the beads.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I often tie bead head patterns in darker colors since so many store bought patterns have gold beads. I figure very heavily pressured fish might become conditioned to avoid brighter beads, might be dumb but wouldn't be the first time for me. If fish can become conditioned to the standard patterns sold in the local fly shops, perhaps shifting the bead color slightly can have a benefit? Might rainbow beads looks different enough from the regular gold?