The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By wt bash
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 2 Post By noreaster
  • 4 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default peacock herl streamer

Hi - I've seen some bucktail streamer patterns that require a few herl feathers on the top (as a flowing wing part, like the bucktail). My experience with herl is that I can pretty much tear it off of any hook I tie it to at will, with only moderate effort.

Is this normal for this material, or is there a way to make it more durable?

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: peacock herl streamer

I dunno man I caught alot of fish on streamers with all herl wings and some with all peacock sword wings and never had an issue.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most fish don't destroy it to bad. It is however, the first thing Pike chop off. It does not take teeth very well. Not much you can do about how tough or not tough a material is. Keep in mind that herl that has been laying around dry is not as bendable as herl that has soaked up water, so if you are yanking on a dry fly that it going to be less tough.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi - I've seen some bucktail streamer patterns that require a few herl feathers on the top (as a flowing wing part, like the bucktail). My experience with herl is that I can pretty much tear it off of any hook I tie it to at will, with only moderate effort.

Is this normal for this material, or is there a way to make it more durable?

Thanks,
Nor really sure what to tell ya, but maybe shop around for different brands maybe. I have found that herl can be of varying degrees of durability. I am currently using some that are really long and sparse with fibers but it is really tough. Other shorter more full herl I have is very soft and easily breakable. Not sure if it has a shelf life but I bet if its stored for long periods in a dry environments it can probably get brittle.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

When ever I buy peacock herl I buy eyes. I get less but its way better. I use the herl along the lower part of the stem for bodies ad heads and then I use the stuff up around the eye. Here's one pretty well chewed, I know its taken a few fish over time and the wing and tail are still going strong.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Wt bash,

Like the streamer and have a rookie questions. Wing looks different than the tail on my screen. Are they the same type of herl? Is the throat same material as the wing?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM

The wing and tail came from the same feather or plume, the tail came from just below the eye with the wing coming right from the eye. The throat is dyed bronze hackle fibers.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:52 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like one of two things may be happening here, or maybe BOTH.

1) this herl may be old and dry (brittle) from being in too dry an environment or exposed to high heat or sunlight

2) you may be using too fine a thread or wrapping too tight on your initial "capture" wraps when tying it in

If the herl is old or dry, not much you can do except maybe try stripping it and using the base for quill bodied flies. You can revitalize these by soaking them in a mixture of glycerine and water (see the other thread about "quills")

As for the tying issue, if you're using an 8/0 thread or gel spun and bearing down HARD on it when you're tying in the herl, it could compromise the quills. If your thread is like Flymaster and you can counter spin the bobbin to "flatten" the thread as you tie in herl, or if you take two loose turns, THEN take tighter turns over the top, you'll still lock the herl in well, but won't cut through it.